Menu

Driving a 32 RV?

desertstrawberry5

We had a 40' 5er that we toted around the country for a year and a half with a half ton dually. It was a bugger to haul. We now have a slide-in truck camper. LOL

Dh did all the driving when we went on an RV vacation a few years ago. He said the most exhausting part was keeping the RV in the lane because the steering was loose. I don't know if this is characteristic of all RVs or just the one we had. For context, he has his CDL and has driven a bus before.

• Like 1

I could never do that. I had to drive big 4x4 trucks three summers for work, and I had problems figuring out where they were on the road and parking. No power steering, old trucks. It was rough.

Now that I'm a "retired" homeschool mom and work online, I have dreams of buying a truck camper or a small RV and travelling here-and-there on my own and with my college kids.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

The driving can be from one extreme to the other depending on the features and type that you buy. One really should drive it, or at least one like it, before purchasing.

For what it is worth, I have a 22' Class B and it is not that easy to drive. The hardest for me is cutting corners and remembering to start braking way further back than with cars.

• Like 1

We currently have a 21 foot Class B. It's easy peasy to drive. Not much more difficult than my SUV. Before this one we had a 35 foot Class A. There is definitely a learning curve and it was always stressful driving. Braking ability (or lack thereof) can be a huge issue. You also have to give lots of forethought to parking and fueling. As long as you're not towing anything it's not too bad. We towed an SUV which put our total length around 45 to 50 feet. It wasn't easy.

• Like 1

Ok. So... probably not going to work for me.

I'm little and I have enough trouble managing my minivan.

We would have to haul my van as well.

We would be driving through mountains, San Diego, and Los Angeles. OMG i'm having anxiety thinking about it. 

I really want a little one, or maybe even a van conversion. That would be great. 

I'm 4'10" and hover around 108-110. Size (or lack thereof) wasn't an issue for me driving our 35' RV. It was more psychological. I found it rather scary driving such a huge, long vehicle. I could do it ok it but it was stressful. The physical aspect really wasn't an issue.