Menu

Help! I have a question about math.

Testimony

My younger son is struggling with Singapore math. He does not get the mental math as well. I love this program, but he told me yesterday that he really likes A Beka math. I am crying. :crying: He said that he enjoyed math when he did it. Well, I hate the idea of jumping back and forth with curricula. However, he said that he was liking math with A Beka. What should I do? He had just one year of A Beka and two years of Singapore. He claims A Beka is better. I am at a stalemate. I don't want to switch and then find out that didn't work. AAA!!:ack2:

Help!!!:confused:

Thank you everyone.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

:grouphug:

Some questions to ask yourself:

What is the reason you switched from Abeka?

What are the things your son doesn't like about Singapore?

What are the things he liked about Abeka?

What are the things you don't like about Abeka?

No experience here, but you could try talking to him and explaining why you like Singapore and hear his side of the story and try to reach a compromise with pen and paper. List the pros and cons of each.

Karen, this is long, so bear with me.

My dd is doing Singapore Math Standards edition 2/a right now. The first year was a breeze, but this year she actually has to apply herself. It's a perfect fit for her, but I can see why it might not be a good fit for some kids.

Here's my assessment of just a small portion of the Standards edition, books 1 and 2:

In the first book, multiple ways to "see" numbers, and multiple ways to add and subtract numbers are covered. You start using those techniques to solve simple problems. Usually, they show you which of the techinques that you learned works best for a given problem.

Examples of seeing numbers: 7 is 5 and 2 ____________ 4 is 3 and 1

(I can't duplicate it well because they use bubbles)

Then they explain what adding is, and give you several ways to work an addition problem.

Example 7+4= ?

You can start at 7 and count up four on a number line

or do the same on your fingers 7

OR make ten, where one number borrows enough from another number to make ten, and then you add the rest.

If I "see" the 4 as a 3 and a 1, the 7 borrows 3 from the 4 to make 10. The 1 that the 4 has left over is then added to the ten to make 11. (Again, they do a much better job of illustrating than I can in this post.)

Right away you start using all that in word problems.

Now comes second grade. You get into more complex addition and subtraction. You have to use those techniques you learned last, year, but they don't always show you which techniques to use when. The child must decide on his/her own more. This can be a confusing point.

Example= To add 133+477 you probably have to choose three of the techniques that you learned last year, and you have to decide which to use when.

Again, you start using new skills in word problems.

I think reviewing the different ways of "seeing" numbers and the different ways of adding/subtracting simple numbers would be a big help before starting the more complex addition and subtraction problems. They do some in the book, but a student may need more.

Now, having said all that, learning so many ways to manipulate numbers at once can be very confusing to some children. Especially when they have to choose which method to use in a given situation. It really requires understanding why/when each method is used. The "whys/whens" are as important as the "hows" for children to be compent and confident when faced with math problems.

I'm all for learning different ways to work problems, that's why I use Singapore with my dd. But, I know many kids who were just too confused by this type of instruction and prefer a more straight forward approach. They seem to thrive with other programs, and if this is the case, it's o.k. to go back to Abeka. especially since his perception is that it is more enjoyable.

What you can do, though, is keep the Singapore book. When ds learns something and has it down very well, then show him one different way of doing the same type of problem. After he gets that, maybe do it another way. I think all kids can benefit from the choices Singapore offers, but maybe not all at once.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Singapore has a reputation as being 'rigorous'--especially in word problems. I'm willing to bet that your son has reached the point where they are asking him to use some areas of logic that he has NOT developed yet. Singapore can be 1-2 years AHEAD of the AVERAGE student--and even bright math students may find it a bit much at times--eventually their logic will develop--but is it really worth the frustration...

I think that your son is wanting to go back to a more traditional program. I dont' know if ABeka would be the one to go back to--I'm not too fond of it after level 4 and would NEVER recommend it about Pre-Algebra. With that said there are lots of choices out there. You could still work through a FEW of the Singapore word problems as a supplement (but spread them out or hold off for a few months before re-introducing them--and I'll bet you will both be surprised at how much easier they are for him to grasp).

I dont' know if ABeka would be the one to go back to--I'm not too fond of it after level 4 and would NEVER recommend it about Pre-Algebra. With that said there are lots of choices out there.

I've heard and read this before and I'm interested to know when would be a good time to switch from ABeka if it's working and why. We tried different programs, but Abeka really clicked for dd8. I hate the idea of switching before Foerster's but realize we may have to. What would the ideal switch be?

Thanks!

My son likes A Beka because it is more colorful. He felt like it kept him more busy. He likes that he could just do the work and he thought that it was easy. It is easier than Singapore. I guess with all the drills and repeat he will get math right?

I just don't want to keep switching. The comment about having to move after 4th grade does not thrill me.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Karen

Singapore has a reputation as being 'rigorous'--especially in word problems. I'm willing to bet that your son has reached the point where they are asking him to use some areas of logic that he has NOT developed yet. Singapore can be 1-2 years AHEAD of the AVERAGE student--and even bright math students may find it a bit much at times--eventually their logic will develop--but is it really worth the frustration...

I think that your son is wanting to go back to a more traditional program. I dont' know if ABeka would be the one to go back to--I'm not too fond of it after level 4 and would NEVER recommend it about Pre-Algebra. With that said there are lots of choices out there. You could still work through a FEW of the Singapore word problems as a supplement (but spread them out or hold off for a few months before re-introducing them--and I'll bet you will both be surprised at how much easier they are for him to grasp).

My 2nd ds is just not intuitive at math, at least not like my oldest. He needs a very concrete program, with no abstractions. He doesn't like manipulatives, he just wants to memorize the way things are, and use it.

What I have noticed this year, now that he's in 5th, is he'll interrupt me to say, "Hey, Mom. You know what I just noticed?" And, it's some concept that he was exposed to in BJU, but he just wasn't ready to process it in 4th. And, he just thinks he is the coolest thing in the world cause he figured it out all by himself.

My son likes A Beka because it is more colorful. He felt like it kept him more busy. He likes that he could just do the work and he thought that it was easy. It is easier than Singapore. I guess with all the drills and repeat he will get math right?

I just don't want to keep switching. The comment about having to move after 4th grade does not thrill me.

I think you are wise to avoid curriculum hopping, but I think it would be okay to use Abeka and Singapore together. Let Abeka be the main curriculum, and use Singapore at a pace your dc's brain development can handle...you could use it a year or two behind the level on the book. From what I understand, many students go from Singapore 6 into Algebra, so there is no rush on getting through the Singapore books.

This is essentially how things worked out with my dd, only I sure never planned it that way. She struggled in Singapore, I switched to R&S 2. By the end of R&S 2, she could finally add, but we were both bored to tears. Went back to Singapore 1, and she sailed through until the end of 3A (learning the mulitplication facts). I decided to put her into MUS Gamma (that's the mulitplication level), and she started asking to go back to Singapore. Now I have her doing both MUS and Singapore. I consider MUS to be her main curriculum, so that if she gets stuck in Singapore again, she can just take a break from it until her brain is ready. Even if she doesn't finish the Singapore primary series, it is still a valuable learning tool.

Good luck.

I think you are wise to avoid curriculum hopping, but I think it would be okay to use Abeka and Singapore together. Let Abeka be the main curriculum, and use Singapore at a pace your dc's brain development can handle...you could use it a year or two behind the level on the book. From what I understand, many students go from Singapore 6 into Algebra, so there is no rush on getting through the Singapore books.

Lana,

This is a great idea. Why didn't I think of this? That is why we come to the boards. I will get A Beka, but still work with Singapore math. I guess then my next question is going to have to be how do people who use the two schedule it. I know that Singapore gets very challenging in 5th grade because my older son is doing it. He has gone through some stumps. He has managed to get over them, but my younger son will waffle. I am going vvvery slowly with him.

Blessings to you!

Karen