Jump to content


Fence Hardware - Can't Think of Name/Title


Recommended Posts

We are building a spit rail fence. We have a gate. I would like a certain type of fence latch. But, I don't know the official name and my searches on Home Depot and Amazon are coming up with thousands of results. Can you help me narrow this down and give a name or proper title for this type of gate closure device?


What I want is...


A giant metal U shape - like a U shaped hoop - maybe 1/2" in diameter, probably 12-16" from top of U to base of U. The two U open ends affix to the stationary fence post next to the gate via some sort of screws or clamps. Then the two ends of the U shape can swing up and down like a moving rainbow. When the U is down, and the rainbow is flat,  parallel to the ground, the gate post is inside the U and the gate is closed. When the U is up, and the rainbow is a normal rainbow, and perpendicular to the ground, the gate post is free from the U and the gate is open.


Am I clear as mud?


I even tried finding pics online and I am coming up with lots of U shaped desk configurations and gardens. I know these things exist, as I recall seeing them on some fences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...