Menu

Writing in R&S Grammar

SWB said you don't need another writing program if you are using Rod and Staff Grammar because it includes enough writing. We are 1/2 way through book 3 and I have noticed very little. What grade does the writing instruction start and what types of assignments are there in the first ones? Thanks!

R&S-3 concentrates on writing proper sentences for most of the book. You will see assignments such as "Write a sentence using xxx as a subject (or direct object)" Things like that - it's been two years since I've looked at it - LOL! But *those* are important building blocks. Don't skip them!

Incorporate those sentence structures into your dictation, history narrations and science narrations. Yes, it seems very easy, but they are only in the 3rd grade. (And, if they can't write a complete sentence....)

You will start to touch on paragraphs right at the end of R&S-3. I think that's where you start writing letters and doing oral reports. R&S-4 will briefly review sentence structure, and quickly move into basic paragraph structures.

hth!

I think they are meant to get the rest of their writing practice in copywork, History and science narrations. which rounds it out to a complete writing program.

I think!

:iagree:This is what I was going to add. I think you are right that SWB says R&S is enough for writing instruction, but does assume that the child is doing copywork and narrations.

I'm finding R&S 3 and WWE to be a great combo. We will continue to use the things taught in R&S in our writing for lit, science, and history. I will probably not actually use WWE after this year, because I do find R&S to be enough *IF* what is learned is practiced.

Julie

You will see assignments such as "Write a sentence using xxx as a subject (or direct object)" Don't skip them!

Incorporate those sentence structures into your dictation, history narrations and science narrations.

hth!

I guess it seems so easy, that I dismissed it, but you are right! I think all the narrations and dictations we have done over the years, has made this step too easy! :001_smile: I just need help teaching him how to put together paragraphs because I can't explain it well. Hopefully they will cover that in the R&S 4.

Thanks for the replies everyone!