Menu

Help with back pain please :(

My upper back muscles are seizing up. I must have strained them on friday at work. I've had this happen before and the doctor gave me muscle relaxers and I rested for a few days. Is there anything I can do for this besides going to the doctor and getting that medicine? Anything over the counter? I'm the lead teacher in a 1-year old preschool room and I really can't afford to miss work.

They're pricey, but I buy the Thermocare pads in bulk because this periodically happens to me and I really am not one that can lay down with a heating pad with a disabled husband and children around. I even put on one before shoveling my long driveway in the winter to prevent that.

Take an anti-inflammatory every 12 hours (as indicated) for about 5 days then wean off...I prefer Aleve because it's the same as Naprosyn...the prescription strength is double the recommended dose on the bottle..but I think you'd be find taking 2 at the onset and keeping it in your blood stream at consistent levels for 5 days (meaning don't miss a dose...most of them are 12 hour acting now)....drink your water and try to avoid caffeine..it can draw fluid out of your muscles and you need the water in there to promote healing....Rest....rent some good movies and have dh do the dishes!! :)

Moist heat will help...soaking in a hot tub is good.

Hope you feel better!!

Tara

Do leg stretches. I've found this especially helps for lower back spasms, but it also helps with the upper back for me.

Lie (lay?) on your back. Bend one leg so that your foot is flat on the floor or bed. Keeping your other leg straight, slowly lift it up and hold. Switch legs and repeat several times. NOTE: when my back is particularly tight, I need someone to help me lift my leg. At first I can only get it about 30 degrees above horizontal, but eventually to vertical or a little past. You want to feel the stretch in the back of your leg. With each repetition, you should be able to lift a little bit higher.

Same position, but draw one leg up, hugging it to your chest. Switch legs and repeat. With this one, you should feel the stretch in your lower back.

HTH

Lay on firm surface, like short carpet. Bend legs and put feet flat. Do your pelvic tilts. Then pull your legs up so you are a Z, with your shins parallel to the floor. Put your arms out straight from your shoulder (leaving them on the ground). Let your legs tip to one side, turn your head to the other and let everything stretch....then bend your arms up at the elbow (slide the forearm along the ground). Let everything stretch. Do it the other way.

Warm packs.

Lumbar support when sitting.

Rolling your neck and doing chin tucks.

Motrin

Goodluck!! Back pain stinks.