Menu

What else for writing for 2nd Grade?

ExcitedMama

For 1st Grade we used FLL1, WWE1 and ELTL1 and I'm planning on using the 2nd level of all 3. I know that covers the basics of LA, like copywork and grammar. He's going to continue with AAS. He also did MP reading comprehension questions last year but hated them so I'm planning on adding in a couple of VP Lit guides that match up with ELTL2 (Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland). Unfortunately the first book in ELTL2 is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which I can't find any guides for. He also did the Aesop's Fables Series by RFP which was a fun addition with writing and some creative writing exercises. I want to add something more for writing but I don't know what. He doesn't match up well with the levels I've found for BW and I was considering one of their classes but we are going to be gone for a few weeks in the fall so that's probably not going to work now. He's a strong reader and speller and likes to write his own stories. What should I add?

What about something like a nature journal, so he'd need to add an entry each day of his observations (adding a sketch if possible)?

Or, something like a commonplace book. Encourage him to pick out beautiful quotes from his books and copy them into a notebook. Or, in a similar vein, we enjoy slow reading through a book over a long time and narrating/cooyworking a selection in a special notebook each day.

I agree that fll, wwe and eltl is more than plenty. So I'd look for something different.

Edited by LMD

My memory of "studying literature" in grade school was that it was a fast way to ruin a good book. I wouldn't worry about not having a lit guide for one, just read the book and enjoy it. WWE gives plenty of practice at comprehension questions during the time you're reading Wizard of Oz.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know AAS, WWE, FLL, and ELTL cover LA but I want something with more writing since he needs more of a challenge. I like what I can see in the sample of VP lit guides for writing and creative thinking. I know I don't need anything more for LA or reading comprehension but I want something that will challenge him to think or create more since he enjoys writing and without something like MP or RFP it's actually going to be less writing this year. JID looks too basic for him. He doesn't seem to fit well in the BW products which is why I was thinking of doing one of the classes perhaps after our trip. If that makes sense, anything else to consider?

I found some literature guides for the Wizard of Oz on currclick.com. They are handy for supplemental material.

This is what we are using. The very first one in the list. The rest of the year we are doing VP guides so kicking off with a fun lapbook style guide made my daughter's day. There is plenty of writing to it.