Menu

If you use Valerian Root, I have a couple questions

FaithManor

First do you use pills or liquid extract? Is there a significant difference in effectiveness between the two?

Do you get headaches or other side effects?

Can't be used with tylenol and Advil?

Asking because are considering this for eldest ds who is having sleep issues but does feels very groggy from benadryl, and does not want to take something strong like Ambien.

His leg is the issue, lots of aching in general, and since this is a lifelong disability, prescription pain meds in the long term is not an option. Then on nights when his leg isn't aching or having muscle cramps and tension, he has a hard time relaxing. He often doesn't fall asleep until 3 am or so after laying down at 10-11 pm. Not great for anyone, and we are especially worried when the semester starts and he is driving every day at 7:30 am.

I have seriously considered giving him brandy and tea every night.

From time to time, I use a supplement from Standard Products called Valerian complex.  It has none of the worrisome side effects; I usually take it in the morning when I am in a high stress time of my life.  That used to be every day, but now it is just once in awhile.  I take Advil alongside and there are no problems.  I am not groggy at all.  

I mention time of day not to be prescriptive but descriptive.  

My husband takes it as a liquid (tincture from HerbPharm) or tea sometimes with no side effects. I have tried it and it didn't work well for me, but I hate things that make me too sleepy. I have had good luck with chamomile or an herb blend with chamomile from bulk herbs. I don't know that that'd be strong enough for your son, though. Have you tried white willow bark for the pain? I have used it for pain that ibu, etc didn't touch. 

• Like 1

My dh swears by it. He says it calms his mind so he can sleep - sometimes he takes it when he is not sleeping, to help quiet the brain so he can focus on one thought - he is an over-over-thinker.

It helps him to fall asleep when doing night shift, and yes he's paired it with paracetamol before - I don't know much about this, he researched it (I may have mentioned over thinking?).

He has it on pill form, easiest to source here.

• Like 1

Thanks. Ds is definitely an over thinker, and I think he worries a lot about being only twenty and facing a life time of this which of course compounds the issue. Vicious double whammy.

Does the tincture/liquid taste nasty?

Oh, and we have not tried willow bark, but if memory serves that is what aspirin is derived from so we could try some aspirin. He took it for six months after surgery just to prevent blood clots. We could try it for ache relief. I respond well to asprin.

My dh swears by it. He says it calms his mind so he can sleep - sometimes he takes it when he is not sleeping, to help quiet the brain so he can focus on one thought - he is an over-over-thinker.

It helps him to fall asleep when doing night shift, and yes he's paired it with paracetamol before - I don't know much about this, he researched it (I may have mentioned over thinking?).

He has it on pill form, easiest to source here.

Not trying to hijack Faith's thread, but here I go anyway... (Sorry, Faith! :D)

What brand does your dh use? Sometimes I get very edgy at night and have trouble falling sleep. Melatonin is okay, but I'd like to try something different and it sounds like valerian root might be a good option because the combination of calming plus potential sleepiness sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks for starting this thread, Faith! :)

Not trying to hijack Faith's thread, but here I go anyway... (Sorry, Faith! :D)

What brand does your dh use? Sometimes I get very edgy at night and have trouble falling sleep. Melatonin is okay, but I'd like to try something different and it sounds like valerian root might be a good option because the combination of calming plus potential sleepiness sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks for starting this thread, Faith! :)

Not a problem. I think there are several of us on the board struggling with this personally or have a spouse or child with the difficulty. I am convinced that a lot of the energy trouble I have is from not enough deep sleep. I wake up a lot more than I used to so if we find this helps ds, I am going to try it.

• Like 1

I have taken valerian in tea form- premade tea bags. I think it tastes nasty. And in my case it didn't work.

I'm going to throw something out there. I have legs that cramp a lot making it hard to sleep. The only thing that has helped me has been Gabapentin. It is prescription but is not a sleep aid like ambien.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's actually not fussy with brands, I am not sure if they're the same in the US anyway (we're in Aus)

But, he presently has *walks over to check cupboard*

Thompson's Valerian 2000 (2g per tablet)

Swisse 'sleep' - it has magnesium, valerian, licorice, hops,china root aanemarrhena asphodeloides root. I don't know what all of those are, but magnesium is good for muscle stuff iirc.

Nature's Own brand 'sleep ezy' formula - it has a mix of valerian, hops, chamomile and passion flower.

• Like 1

No prob.

It's difficult for me to overstate how much he likes valerian, he suggested that our boys take some before school starts to help them focus (in a similar way that coffee is prescribed for ADD symptoms) because they have brains like him...

• Like 1