Menu

Can anyone recommend a German skype tutor?

I'm looking for a native speaker that also has some teaching experience, who will use a textbook of their choice and grade homework. Anyone?

ETA the schedule for the WTMA German 2 class doesn't work for us; that's DS's first choice.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Did you try anyone on italki.com yet? It'll probably be a professional tutor rather than a community tutor.

Not yet. I did have amazing luck believing the reviews on verbalplanet and we had the perfect french tutor for several years. I will trawl italki and verbalplanet but thought I'd ask here first.
  • Like 1

Not yet. I did have amazing luck believing the reviews on verbalplanet and we had the perfect french tutor for several years. I will trawl italki and verbalplanet but thought I'd ask here first.

We found a couple of amazing teachers for Chinese and Arabic, but it did take some trawling lol.

• Like 1

How do you find what you are looking for at Italki / verbalplanet?

I tried to find some one for French to prepare dd for her oral exam in september, but had hesitations at most of the professional candidates.

I look at the reviews and contact each teacher to see if they can offer what we need. Sometimes there is a free trial or a short and cheaper 30 minute trial class.

• Like 1

Loesje I'd email tutor and ask specific questions. The "downside" of a professional teacher is that they are sometimes very invested in their own methodology, which I'm sure works great as they've had years to

perfect it. Things may fall apart if you ask for a specific textbook or something like that down the line. Ask me how I know ;)

For German, it's early days for us so I don't care about methodology so long as there's homework and a textbook of some sort used. But for a specific exam, I'd ask if they have experience with it and how they approach it, etc.

• Like 1

The problem is we don't have standardized exams.

The exams dd will attend are for homeschoolers and highschool drop outs / adults without diploma (diploma = important here)

School teachers have no experience with preparing for these exams.

So all we know is we are supposed to be able to speak at a certain level (B2).

This schoolyear we try to cover French, but in 2018-2019 we have the same problem with German.

So far dd has covered 2 year of German without speaking the language with someone...

For french she will attend immersion camp again. three weeks for the oral exam, I hope it will help as it is a Belgic camp, but so far I am not able to find the same format for German

Sorry for derailing your thread :blush:

• Like 1

A number of years ago, my daughter took German with an online teacher through German Online Institute. It was a tiny company then and she was their first child student. They were wonderful and her teacher was fabulous. DD stopped lessons when she started private school in 6th grade three years ago. My recommendation is based on our "old" experience but I would certainly go back for a trial if I were looking for German now.  

http://www.germanonlineinstitute.com