Menu

4th grade open-and-go suggestions?

anabelneri

Hello! I'm just finishing up planning for the fall for my 9th grader, and my attention is turning to my 4th grader. Given how much time my 9th grader is going to take, I'm looking for open-and-go for my 4th grader. A friend is using MBtP, which I'm looking at now, but I'd love other pointers.

The downside of going with MBtP is that I thought I was going to do FLL4 this year with her, but I'm not sure about doing that and MBtP.

Thanks!

Anabel

I don;t think MBtP would be called open and go from what I have seen of it. What subjects are you looking for?

I had the impression that the 9-11 level was directed towards the student, which would make it somewhat open-and-go for me, right? But it has multiple subjects all built in, I think, which will help.

I'm looking for science, social studies, writing, and literature. If grammar is built in too, I'll cope with that.

MM looks fabulous, thank you! I still have to look at CLE.

Thanks!

CLE math

FLL

IEW (if you're already familiar with it) theme based writing to match historical time period

For history, science and lit - depends on your student and what you've used so far. Maybe SOTW or CHOW or an American history spine. Or a shelf of books. Or library trips.

Can you tell me more about this? 

Can you tell me more about this?

IEW has its own way of teaching writing. If you're not familiar with it, the theme-based writing would be difficult. If price is not an option check out IEW's Student Writing Intensive programs. For 4th grade, you'd probably want to do SWI-A.

There are different packages for SWI-A, but I think this is the cheapest:

http://iew.com/shop/products/student-writing-intensive-level

I had the impression that the 9-11 level was directed towards the student, which would make it somewhat open-and-go for me, right? But it has multiple subjects all built in, I think, which will help.

I'm looking for science, social studies, writing, and literature. If grammar is built in too, I'll cope with that.

MM looks fabulous, thank you! I still have to look at CLE.

Thanks!

In mbtp the 9-11 is indeed written to the student. It includes grammar. If you agree with SWB on how grammar should be taught, you will probably want to supplement. If you fall closer to the IEW or Bravewriter view, the mbtp grammar should be fine. For a kiddo who completed fll 3 the grammar portion in mbtp would be redundant. It is structured in such a way that the grammar would be easy to omit. The language arts is relatively open and go once you have gathered the materials, which are already compiled in a list for you. I find that I like to look ahead to reserve additional books from the library because I don't care to search the internet for information on various things. Plus, my kids tend to become interested in other things in the book. I can let them independently explore the book for a long time...not so much for the internet. This usually turns out to be 2-3 additional non-fiction books per unit. I haven't used science or social studies, but the la is very full. I think using mbtp for all subjects would just be way too much.

There are some great literature-based history programs out there, and so many wonderful history books for the 3rd to 6th grade range. It seems like it would be a shame to miss out on all those. Take a peek at bookshark or build your library for history.

Edited by Syllieann

ELTL is one that doesn't seem open and go, but pretty much is.

The Good and The Beautiful language arts is written to the student at level 4.

CLE math and LA both are.

Memoria press history and science materials could not be more self-explanatory and are easy to expand or contract as needed.

Climbing To Good English.

This old thread on workbooks might be of some interest.

Mystery Science is very easy to implement. My 4th grader did it almost independently last year, but she is an independent sort of kid who can print out her own worksheets and plan the order of how she wanted to complete the lessons. All I did was help her find some materials for the experiments once per week.

Mystery Science is a great program for 4th grade. I can't say enough good things about it.