Menu

Cyber security & computer science

Hilltopmom

I get emails. almost daily, about "permanent" jobs in the USA and temporary contract job assignments.  I don't think I have ever seen one that asked for a B.S. in Cybersecurity, even when the job involved... Cybersecurity.

This is typical of the education requirements I see in those emails:

Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.

I would suggest, if a Dual Major is being considered, possibly doing Computer Science and Electronic Engineering.

I would think that a B.S. in Cybersecurity might be very limiting, professionally, but, on the other hand, it might be extremely advantageous.  Hard to know which is correct, for a long-term career in industry or government. However, I read an article on the UC - Davis web site, possibly someone on WTM had linked to it, a year or 2 ago, that speculated on the number of job openings during the next 5 or 10 years.  I think it was from their C.S. Dept. or possibly the College of Engineering. I was_sort_of_astonished at the small number of job openings they projected for Cybersecurity positions. With all of the things one reads about Security breaches, one might assume there will be tens of thousands of openings for Cybersecurity professionals, but then one might be assuming incorrectly.

I would suggest to your student they become associated with IEEE.  I was a "Member" for many years.

http://www.ieee.org/index.html

• Like 3

If your kiddo studied/ studies cyber security, curious if they double majored in computer science and cybersecurity?

Ds is interested in both. A few of the schools on his short list do have both programs, for minor ing or double majoring.

Agreeing with previous posters that cybersecurity is under the umbrella of CS at many schools. A popular double major seems to be CS/Mathematics. I would also suggest taking every available elective covering legal issues. That cuts both ways; ds took classes with lawyers wanting to understand the technical side. 

Edited by Tullia
  • Like 3