Menu

High maintenance people

Scarlett

I don't know. I still think it's funny that so many people on this board assume every living space has a linen closet big enough to hold extra blankets and pillows.

A linen closet isn't a given in every home.

LOL. In Germany, we have no closets at all (except in very old houses that may have a closed off space under a stair etc). But bedroom closets do not exist.

LOL. In Germany, we have no closets at all (except in very old houses that may have a closed off space under a stair etc). But bedroom closets do not exist.

Victorian houses here are like that.  No closets, and usually no built in cabinets either, unless they have been retrofitted.  But the style has shifted so much that now it's not legal to call a room a bedroom (in our state) unless it has a closet.

• Like 1

If I had an extra room for storage, it would have big long racks, like quilt racks, but with tablecloths on them.  I have a collection of maybe 30 or so vintage tablecloths from the 1940s-60s, with bold fruit designs on them.  I love them, but I hate ironing them.  If I could just get them out of the drier and hang them up, and then put them out on the table when I was ready to use them, that would be so nice.  As it is, I have them folded up and stacked in a cupboard, and they come out very creased and wrinkled.  But I can't really complain, because they are luxury and I do have them!

I love vintage linens! My mom had such an affinity for them and I never understood it....until a few years ago. I gravitate to them at antique stores. And have started my own little horde.  I'd love them on quilt racks so I could see them all!

• Like 2

Do you have free standing armoires?  Upstairs in the loft area where dss16 sleeps there is abouit 400 sf of floor space.  We have two full size beds up there...both of them are getting platforms with drawers underneath.  And we are building one smallish low closet (in the eaves of an A Frame).  Except for a couple of nightstands and a chair in the corner for reading, that is all I expect to have up there. 

Victorian houses here are like that.  No closets, and usually no built in cabinets either, unless they have been retrofitted.  But the style has shifted so much that now it's not legal to call a room a bedroom (in our state) unless it has a closet.

Wow, that seems like overkill.  Built in closets have a lot of utility, but they aren't a safety thing or anything.

• Like 1

Same here. Three of our bedrooms have been retrofitted with closets. But there are two others that are fabulous bedrooms (including the master bedroom!)  but can't be listed as a bedroom because no closet. Archaic rules here. House built in 1880.   

It's going to be a challenge to get buyers in here because they might be looking for four or more bedrooms and our house won't appear on the search.  What are we supposed to list those other rooms as? Living rooms? We'd have THREE!  

• Like 1