Menu

Pole barn homes....anyone build one?

Ottakee

Just be aware that by the time it is a house, it will cost as much as a regular house. Some people want them because they think they will be very cheap. But once you sheetrock it and put in fixtures and everything, it's still a lot of money. My husband owns a barn company, and he builds the shell occasionally but does not finish them.

• Like 2

Just be aware that by the time it is a house, it will cost as much as a regular house. Some people want them because they think they will be very cheap. But once you sheetrock it and put in fixtures and everything, it's still a lot of money. My husband owns a barn company, and he builds the shell occasionally but does not finish them.

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:]

I grew up in the construction business.

Pole barns are pole barns.

Houses are houses.

If you want a cheap house, then build a cheap house (rectangle with simple features, simple windows and simple floor plan}. You will spend as much, if not more modifying another format of building.....as you will just building a simple home.  And it often kills your resell value.

Edited by Tap

We just see them touted as being so much quicker and easier and cheaper.

If we build it would certainly be a nice simple plan. We would rather have well built and simple than a less well constructed but fancier looking for the same amount of money.

I know a family who built a pole barn into a winery. They did it piece by piece over many years when they had the cash to pay for more work. It took them around 10 yrs total. First they put up the center section on gravel (no walls) and put an old RV under it. Next, they put up the side sections. Eventually thy added walls, doors, concrete floor, plumbing, eleclectrical, but it took many years and they did a lot of the work themselves.

It only saved them money because they could build it in sections for cash.