Menu

Another RS Math question

wehave8

Does RS seem disjointed or choppy to you?  I have been studying over the samples for Levels C and F, but it is hard to get the big picture.

I thought I was decided on MM and using some RS along with it, but I haven't finalized that in stone yet.

Pam

Rightstart?  I haven't seen samples for Level F yet.

Yes, it can be disjointed--quite deliberately so.

For instance, there's work on counting by fives.  Then the next day is money--and nickels, which are by fives.  And then time, where there's a focus on how many minutes are between each large number--five.  That kind of thing.

And, yes, sometimes it switches topics completely for a while.  That's generally deliberate too, to allow the information to sort of work in the background for a while before coming back to it and moving on.

• Like 2

Yes. I used the first edition. It didn't fit me well as a teacher because I could never see the the forest for the trees. I wanted to know why we were doing x in terms of the big picture. I wanted to see the path and destination. Instead, I always felt I just had to trust the program and do the next thing, which often felt jumpy to me.

That said, I'm glad we did RS. I love the foundation it gave my kids, particularly in mental math and place value. I would do it again with another child, even though I would probably still be bugged by the lack of clear to me scope and sequence of instruction. Because it bugged me as a teacher, we switched to Math in Focus/Singapore for a brief bit after B. I decided I vastly preferred RightStart's initial instruction in topics such as subtraction and multiplication to MIF/Singapore's. So I went back to RightStart for level C, then switched for good. 

ETA: So we did RS A-C, which is a kind of spiral, hence the feeling of jumpy. Then we did Singapore MIF 1B-5A, a mastery program. I liked that I could see the path clearly. After MIF 5A, we ended up with CLE starting in 5th grade-which is much more of a spiral than RS. And, weirdly, it didn't bug me--maybe because the kids were older and I was less involved? I don't know. Even though I may prefer the clearness of a mastery program as a teacher, I have decided I really like spiral for math. I think for many it aids retention. 

Edited by sbgrace

Yes. It does to me too. Drives me nuts. But it's worked amazingly so far for ds so we're sticking with it for him. Dd can't stand the switching about though so I'm using SM with her. Apparently some kids are affected by the choppiness as well. :)

Rightstart?  I haven't seen samples for Level F yet.

Yes, it can be disjointed--quite deliberately so.

For instance, there's work on counting by fives.  Then the next day is money--and nickels, which are by fives.  And then time, where there's a focus on how many minutes are between each large number--five.  That kind of thing.

And, yes, sometimes it switches topics completely for a while.  That's generally deliberate too, to allow the information to sort of work in the background for a while before coming back to it and moving on.

You are right.  Level F samples are not out yet.  I made a mistake.  I have been looking at the C-E and Geometry the most.

I am eagerly awaiting F.

Pam

I appreciate these reviews.  They are helping me to know that IF I finally take the full plunge, what to be aware of before we get started.  I know I am a 'gotta see the big picture' person, so this is helping me a lot to know there will be clarity if we stay the course.

Pam