Menu

Please help...dd, 7, and I don't like Saxon Math!

LillianinAL

I changed programs on her too much last year and don't want to keep doing it. I use MUS with her brothers, and she did well with Primer and started Alpha last year. Should I plug away, go back to MUS, or switch to something else? It would need to be easy for me to use, as I don't have a lot of time to give to her math, but a good program. Also cheap. Would CLE Math work, and if so, what level? Whatever we do, I'd like her to stay with it through elementary. She is a very bright girl and good at math, but bored with Saxon. She does well with concrete things now but can do abstract too. What are your thoughts? Thanks! Lillian

Look at Mammoth math.

Inexpensive, short and to the point.

Easy to teach.

I've gone through saxon early yrs with 2 sons, but I'm not using it with my youngest this year.

It's just too much, IMHO>

Now, my 11 and 10yo sons are doing great with 7/6 and 5/4, but we' do the review problems and even only.

They can't miss more than one, or they have to correct and do the odd #s the next day.

One day of that each, and they make sure that they understand before rushing through!

My $.02 cents would be to go back to MUS. 1)You and she are familiar with the style of teaching. 2)It can be found used on several boards. 3)You really only have to teach the concept one day a week or you could have her watch Mr. D teach it on the dvd.

HTH,

Teresa in NC

We did this too! We had used about 6 different math programs in about 2 years, and it was setting dd behind. So here's what I did:

I had already TRIED enough programs. Were there more wonderful programs I could try? YES!!! And many that looked promising. BUT...it's time to be DONE trying, right?

So...I thought of all 6 that I had tried. Which one did we both seem the most comfortable with? Which one, short term and long term, met our needs? I ordered that one and never looked back. Don't think I wasn't tempted! And yes, I do have days that I look at the TM and think *now why did they teach it like that?* But overall, I think this was the best thing we could've done.

Just for kicks! We tried: Singapore (PreK), BJU (K), Horizons, Math U See, Alpha Omega, & Developmental Math (1st & 2nd). I picked BJU but had to repeat 2nd gr math because of all the switching.

Go back to MUS. You both are familiar with it and you can speed it up. Saxon has worked *wonders* for my son after trying other programs (including MUS) but I'm guessing we'll do a different program for my younger son; he gets math easily.

And just in case she loves the format but the content is too easy, could you skip a bunch of lessons and start later in the book? Or even change levels? Used Saxon shows up a bunch too.

Or could you make it work if money is a consideration by skipping loads of problems? Do the new concept problems for a few days and drop anything she has mastered already. You could delay the purchase of something else for a few weeks/months that way perhaps.