Menu

Literature to Pair with American History and a good spine? 5-6th

RosieCotton

Ok folks, I could use some serious help.

We are doing American History in the fall, but really it could start in 2 weeks. We are getting bored and snarky.

Mine LOVE to be read to, and we've enjoyed reading the Ambleside Online history so much, that we got lost for a few months doing explorers, checking out explorer bios from the library, mapping, and having general fun with Home School in the Woods.

I must move us forward into the next chapter.

I was looking at Guerbers 13 Colonies and Great Republic but not sold I guess.

I love the Landmark books MPress has and will probably buy some if I can't find them inter-library loan as ours doesn't have them.

I have a 5th and 6th grader, we have Liberty Kids but I've saved it they've never watched them.

I will bring my 2nd grader along with possibly the Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans.

I have the Home School in the Woods Colonies and Revolution sets so I need to see what fun is in there. We really enjoyed some of the projects and readings.

Sorry for the long intro.

I'm stuck on a good spine.

Yes we have SOTW 4 as well, but we want to focus on just AM History soo faro there it sits. I could assign additional reading of SOTW4 to my older 2, but don't want to complicate.

What spine have you used that you LOVE????

Should I just move ahead with Ambleside?

Thanks for the help!!

I'd love to just start this 2 in weeks and assign writing as well.

Resources for writing with history??

We used Build Your Library this year. They break US history into two parts - grades 5 and 6 - and use Joy Hakim's The History of Us 10 book series as the spine. Loved it! We both learned so much. She includes great literature, videos, etc. can't wait to go through the grade 6 year for this!

We have enjoyed A Child's First Book of American History. It's a little older and only covers through the fifties, but we just filled in other books for the more modern period. It's very colorful, and it's a perfect spine. The chapters were a teensy bit long for my second grader sometimes, but it mostly held his attention.

• Like 1

We have enjoyed A Child's First Book of American History. It's a little older and only covers through the fifties, but we just filled in other books for the more modern period. It's very colorful, and it's a perfect spine. The chapters were a teensy bit long for my second grader sometimes, but it mostly held his attention.

This is what I plan to use this year too.  We also have the Complete Book of US History on hand if she wants to read some on her own (3rd - 5th grade level).  I'd like to add in biographies and Landmark books as we have time.  We're also planning to read Witch of Blackbird Pond to go to a "book club" meeting with friends for.  Aside from that, I'm not planning a lot of historical fiction or literature that ties directly to history.  

ETA:  I'm speaking of my 4th grader.  

Edited by Another Lynn

We are on Volume B of Joy Hakim's concise History of US which is published by K12. It's the condensed version of her 11 volume series. You can find it used on amazon, abe books, and other used sites. It is written for the grade level that you are targeting. You can probably get all four volumes for around $20 total used. FWIW, I also have the 11 volume series, but I decided use this one instead because of the K12 American History class. 

My local library has the Hakim 11 volume series in circulation so you might want to see if you can borrow a volume to look through.

Edited by calbear

We are on Volume B of Joy Hakim's concise History of US which is published by K12. It's the condensed version of her 11 volume series. You can find it used on amazon, abe books, and other used sites. It is written for the grade level that you are targeting. You can probably get all four volumes for around $20 total used. FWIW, I also have the 11 volume series, but I decided use this one instead because of the K12 American History class.

My local library has the Hakim 11 volume series in circulation so you might want to see if you can borrow a volume to look through.

We're also using the concise books this coming year. (Just the first two this year.)

My girls are 4th and 6th, and I think the books look great for this age.