Menu

Organizing recipes

Night Elf

How do you organize your recipes? I just have each printed on an 8 x 11 sheet of paper. I'm adding more recipes though so I've got too many to just lay loose in my drawer. I am thinking of 3 hole punching them and putting them in a binder. I'm worried they'll tear though. However, I remember my grandmother having a recipe box with index cards. Do you have your recipes organized by meal such as appetizer, entree, side, dessert, etc.?

Right now many are on Plan to Eat, but I don't plan meals like I once did, with three adults running in different directions. I don't want to subscribe to PTE forever but until I come up with a plan I'm keeping most of them there. I'm going to sub to this thread and hope for some ideas. :)

I put mine in sheet protectors in a 3-inch binder.  That also helps with recipes I've cut out of magazines, newspapers, etc - I put a piece of plain printer paper in the protector, then slide in the smaller pieces of paper; some pages have 3 or 4 recipes.   I  made dividers for various categories: salads, soups, meat entrees (separate for beef, chicken, etc), vegetarian entrees, vegetable sides, starch sides, breakfast, etc. 

ETA: recipes I've found online are stored in Evernote (free version).  I have various notebooks there, similar to my paper notebook dividers. I don't know what I'll do when Evernote goes away, as it inevitably will someday.  (I don't know of any plans for it to go away, just thinking it will happen someday.)

Edited by marbel

I just entered all my loose, random recipes into pepperplate.com. I have some loose, organized recipes I need to enter, and then a handful from some cookbooks (you know those cookbooks you keep for 1 or 2 recipes?). Then I plan on printing them out and proclicking them.

I decided to do this because:

I'm a messy cook, so I like the idea of being able to just reprint when necessary. I also don't like to cook while using a device.

If I'm shopping, I can pull a recipe up on my phone.

It will recalculate the recipe (double, halve, etc) with the touch of a button.