Menu

Can you help me out? Makeup related

4Kiddos

So, I regularly wear make-up. Not everyday but probably most days I do a "five minute face". For the past five or so years I have been using Mary Kay stuff because my MIL's sister is a Mary Kay Rep and she is the expert. I have been putting up with it mostly because I always get guilted into purchasing it every year "to help support" MIL's sister. There is one thing I liked from Mary Kay (MK)- the pressed Mineral foundation. Most of the other stuff works ok but not great. And a new mascara I tried was horrible this year.

So, this year I am just so done with it. I am just going to ignore the guilt and find stuff that works better and that I actually really like. Earlier in the year, I got a free gift of Estee Lauder samples from Macys and my skin has just been amazing ever since I have been using that. I am amazed at how nice my skin is with this stuff. I used to have all kinds of trouble with my skin. So, I found my skincare and my mascara. I love that stuff and the free gifts keep me stocked. I ran out of mascara so I can just buy a tube of that and something else and get the free gift with the really nice skincare cream samples I like. This way it is pretty inexpensive. I also purchased a compact of Stila eye and cheek color and I love that as well.

I don't really know that much about makeup and I know that a lot of you here know much more. I would love to go to Sephora or Ulta but we don't have either. So, could you help me out? I am fairly simplistic in that I don't want a lot of products since I am so busy and am really going for a very natural look. (For example, I really like this YouTube video although she uses more things than I have in the past:

I am 33 and have a few wrinkles. My skin is pretty easy since using Estee Lauder but I do have blemishes every once in a while in the summer because of the heat. And sometimes I have dark circles under my eyes. Anyway, I do need to find some other things and thought you all might be able to help. Here is my list of what I need:

- I need some sort of foundation. I have been using the MK Pressed Mineral powder and I like the smoothness of it. I apply it with a brush and it looks natural. It goes on really nice and covers ok. It does tend to wear off and doesn't cover when I have dark circles under my eyes. So, would a pressed powder with a concealer work better? Or do liquid foundations work better? MIL's sister said you need a liquid foundation and a powder to go over it. Is that true? Can you just have a liquid foundation without powder? I don't want to look like I have layers of makeup on like MIL's sister. I like to just feel fresh and pretty- like I am not really wearing makeup. Does that make sense? I tried a MK tinted moisturizer with SPF and a powder over it and I liked that a lot but I want to use the Estee Lauder moisturizers since they are so nice. Also, how is a CC cream different than a foundation?

- I need new makeup brushes. My MK ones are falling apart. I would like to purchase some good quality ones that will last forever. And I am not looking for a lot of them. I think I really only use three or four brushes in the set I have. Are there any good ones you can recommend? If I use a liquid foundation do brushes really work better? I have only used my fingers.

And here are a few questions related to the video above:

- Do you all use eyeliner everyday? Recommendations?

- What in the world is primer potion? Where do you use that and why?

- What is bronzer for and why do you use it?

I would appreciate your help so very much. I don't have a huge budget but if I could find some nice things that work I would be really happy.

ETA: I forgot to add that now that I am pregnant I get a few very light brown spots on my cheeks and would like to cover those. There is some sort of special name for that but I forget what it is.

Edited by 4Kiddos

Not a make-up expert, but I do wear Lancome, which is similar to Estee Lauder. I agree that the gift with purchase really helps keep things affordable. I never buy cleanser, eye make-up remover, or travel sized moisturizer because I have enough through GWP. 

I like more of a natural look and I don't like to spend a lot of time. I have a loose mineral powder that I wear in the summer. I don't typically wear liquid foundation in the summer. In the winter, when I'm more pale, I do wear liquid foundation. I wear a little bit of loose powder over it, just so I'm not shiny.

There's a make-up primer that I've been using that helps the powder last longer. I just use it because otherwise it seems like my face absorbs the powder and I end up looking like I'm not wearing anything. It's great for making eye shadow last longer, too. 

I usually use a liquid eye liner on the top lid and then I use a tiny brush with gray eye shadow on it to put a bit on the lower eye. 

I don't use bronzer. 

I love the quality of the Lancome products - Estee Lauder would be the same. Whenever I end up buying an eye liner or mascara from the drug store I always end up not being able to use it and going back to my Lancome products. 

A few things:

For foundation, concealer etc I use a Beauty Blender. Yes, its expensive but its wildly popular for a reason. Liquid foundations, concealers etc go on a LOT smoother with a dampened Beauty Blender. I have heard that the knockoff Real Techniques brush is similar and at a fraction of the cost, but I've never tried it.

I don't use eye liner every day so I can't really comment. I do have eyeliners from Stila and MAC that I use occasionally.

Primer is used to either minimize the appearance of your pores (I use Benefit Porefessional, which blurs the look of pores) or make your foundation last longer. You certainly don't need one, and I don't use it everyday, but my foundation goes on better when I use it.

Bronzer is used to give you a sunkissed look without the unhealthy suntan. I like Benefit Hoola and Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer.

Edited by tdbates78

I "sell" MK. I put that in " " because I hardly do it and I mostly do it for my mom and myself. Anyway...it's been like 11 years for me and I only use a few items and can't stand some things in the MK line like scents, most of the body care, and some facial and cosmetic items.

The Ultimate Mascara has been my favorite since I began. I LOVE Lancôme lipsticks!

You should buy and use what feels best for your skin and your wallet. Taking care of your skin is the main thing...so buy whatever products best guarantee that you will.

IMHO, MK consultants who "push" are annoying and I would never advise anybody to be guilted into buying from ANY consultant for any product line of consumables (food or cosmetics) or non-consumables (candles, purses, leggings, etc.).

My sales director/friend, has the pink caddy and our unit does like $800k annually. But she lives and breathes it every single day. At one time, I was like that and was nearly to earning a car, but I got so tired of selling for my FT job and then go into selling mode also once I was "at home in my free time."

If you are having a tough time disengaging from the family MK consultant, just say that you support her in MK and if you ever hear of anybody needing a consultant you would tell them about her, but that the products just are not working for your skin. Also, IF you still want to support her, but modestly - you could buy the tubes of Hydrating Lotion and/or Body Wash for small gifts. I've given those to my kids' pre-school teachers and the post lady for Christmas. They are $14 each (not including tax) and not a huge cost. I keep a few on-hand to give out as needed.

• I don't use eyeliner every day as I prefer mascara to make my eyes look bigger. I have small eyes so eyeliner usually makes my eyes look smaller unless carefully applied. When I use an eyeliner pencil, it's a MAC or Chanel pencil I've had forever. Good eyeliner pencils go on smoother and have more color.
  • Sephora makes excellent brushes. I've had mine for a number of years, used heavily during my dancing days, and haven't had a problem with them falling apart. I routinely use a face powder brush, blush brush, angled liner brush (good for eyes and eyebrows), and an eyeshadow blending brush.
  • I don't use a separate primer as I've found they're too heavy on the skin. I focus on skincare, usually using a ridiculous number of products morning and evening to keep my skin healthy. If you want foundation that stays, I've found it's hard to beat MAC as it covers well and goes a long way. The normal foundation can look heavy, so I use the Beauty Balm applied with a blender sponge which helps keep it light and cover the spots. The Studio Fix Fluid is also a good option for foundation. I let the foundation set while I do my hair then decide if I need powder. If my face is too shiny, I use Studio Fix Powder with a light hand.
  • Bronzer is used to make your face more tan if you're paler. Some times it can be used for contouring, but I've found contouring is tough to do well in real life. For photo shoots, it can look fantastic, but too often makes the face look dirty when viewed in natural light. I also try to keep the sun off my face so I don't use bronzer normally. 

MAC requires a makeup remover to get it off. Normal face soap won't remove it. I have acne prone skin, but so long as I completely remove the foundation at night, I don't have a breakout.

When I wear makeup, my routine is first to apply face lotion (Neutrogena), under eye cream (Oil of Olay Total Effects), and lip balm (Vaseline). I wait 10-15 minutes for everything to soak in, usually while I blow dry my hair. I apply foundation (MAC Prep and Prime BB Beauty Balm) and eye base (MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Painterly) and wait another 10 minutes for everything to set while I do my hair. The eye and face makeup application usually only takes 5 minutes for a light, day look.

Good eyeshadow is important. MAC's eyeshadows have lovely color saturation and blend beautifully whereas cheaper cosmetics require a heavy hand to show up and don't blend as well. Just be sure to purchase matte powders. Shiny eyeshadow can be unforgiving on older skin.

Edited by ErinE

I have learned so much about makeup in the last few years from a few beauty Youtubers.  I had really good skin for a long time so I didn't need very much makeup. That might be exactly where you are.  You are probably fine with a CC cream and concealer as opposed to foundation.  As I have aged, I can't get by with being as low maintenance as I used to be so I started researching products, tools, and application tips. Some of my favorite Youtubers in your age range are EmilyNoel 83 and Jessica Braun.  I believe that they both have videos dedicated to getting started or the basics of makeup.  Ms. Goldgirl is in her 40s, but she has a great series on makeup basics.  They all show a good combination of drugstore and high end makeup choices.  

I can definitely recommend the Real Techniques brushes and makeup sponge.  

The Urban Decay primer she is using in the video is specifically for eye shadow.  I don't wear eye shadow all the time, but when I do the Urban Decay primer makes it stay on all day without creasing.  Totally worth it in my opinion.  I don't use facial primer.

I got this on the recommendation of a makeup savvy friend and LOVE it so far. It's really easy to put on. Under a minute. The QVC set includes the brush and is a really good deal. I think the price is good for the month of June. http://www.qvc.com/IT-Cosmetics-Confidence-in-a-Compact-SPF-50-Foundation-w-Luxe-Brush.product.A287157.html Ulta and Sephora carry it as well. 

I use eyeliner when I put on makeup. I really like the Urban Decay liner: http://www.urbandecay.com/24-7-glide-on-eye-pencil/122.html It lasts forever. The UD sharpener is good too, but I wouldn't buy it unless there's a special where it comes with the pencil. There's a L'oreal one that is much less expensive.

I don't use bronzer. I pretty much do whatever I can in the car in the driveway. I'm fancy like that. 

I got this on the recommendation of a makeup savvy friend and LOVE it so far. It's really easy to put on. Under a minute. The QVC set includes the brush and is a really good deal. I think the price is good for the month of June. http://www.qvc.com/IT-Cosmetics-Confidence-in-a-Compact-SPF-50-Foundation-w-Luxe-Brush.product.A287157.html Ulta and Sephora carry it as well. 

Ooh, that looks fun!