Menu

Things to do in and around Cuyahoga Valley National Park?

FaithManor

Taking the boys, and will be staying in Parma, OH. We will be going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

How hard are the falls to hike to? Ds with the disabled leg can't do more than half a mile and mostly on fairly level ground. I couldn't find the distance online, but probably am not looking in the right place.

What else should we see?

We will be there for two days. Arriving noon on Aug. 6th, and leaving late afternoon Aug. 8th.

Taking the boys, and will be staying in Parma, OH. We will be going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

How hard are the falls to hike to? Ds with the disabled leg can't do more than half a mile and mostly on fairly level ground. I couldn't find the distance online, but probably am not looking in the right place.

What else should we see?

We will be there for two days. Arriving noon on Aug. 6th, and leaving late afternoon Aug. 8th.

The Kiwanis horse show is August 6 in the part of the park near Brecksville.

There are many great hiking trails of varying difficulty.  If you go on their website and find the calendar, you may be able to find some free guided hikes during your time frame.

When you say falls - do you mean Brandywine / Bridal Veil Falls?  There are multiple trail options, but the easiest one should be do-able by someone like your ds.  IIRC there is an option with all wood plank and no steps.  Much less than half a mile for that option.

If anyone is into trains or canal locks, they have activities around those.

Cuyahoga Valley Reservation is pretty big.  I encourage you to check out the website and see what interests you.  Also check out Hale Farm and Village and see if that is your kind of thing.

If anyone is into museums, there are some good ones in Cleveland.  The Great Lakes Science Center is right next door to the Rock Hall.  The city also has a good orchestra.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Looks like Brandywine is out, but Bridal Veil and Blue Hen are in.

The 1.5 mile trail is one of 3 options.  The actual falls are very close to the parking area, as you can see on the map, and the walk along the boardwalk is very easy.  Might want to double check to ensure there are no steps on the easiest option - I am not 100% on that one.

The 1.5 mile trail is one of 3 options. The actual falls are very close to the parking area, as you can see on the map, and the walk along the boardwalk is very easy. Might want to double check to ensure there are no steps on the easiest option - I am not 100% on that one.

Thanks! He was thinking today about using his cane - which he hates - so he can go farther. I am not a big fan of him doing something he hates, push I Nguyen himself too hard, and ending up in pain for the trip. His brothers can take off and hike proper, ds and I can picnic and relax after doing the easy walks.

If anyone is into museums, there are some good ones in Cleveland.  The Great Lakes Science Center is right next door to the Rock Hall.  The city also has a good orchestra.

Cleveland has a great art museum and admission is free.  The Natural History Museum is nice, too.  And the Botanical Gardens are right there as well. 

• Like 1

Blue Hen falls has a somewhat steep hill down to the falls and it's a very short trail.  Unless you want to do some hiking "off trail" (even though there is one that goes along the creek it's not official), it's not the best fall to check out (I don't think it's that pretty).  But if you DO want to continue hiking on the trail, you can get to Buttermilk Falls which is only about a mile from Blue Hen so you can catch both!

If you want to catch some wildlife, our family just went to the Beaver Marsh boardwalk.  If you go at dusk you can see some beavers at the south end of the boardwalk section!  It's just 1/4 mile north from the Ira Trailhead off Riverview Rd.  Look carefully in the water lilies and see ducks, turtles, maybe some frogs and huge carp.  We saw a few herons, and lots of other birds when we went.  It's very nice and right before dark is when the beavers make their appearance!

Also, if you can, take the train!!  Hike or rent bikes (Peninsula) and go as far as you want and then take the train back.  Buy a pass and plan for train times:  https://www.cvsr.com/take-the-train/  (There may be some train events happening when you visit, too.)

Edited by 6packofun

Sorry, I totally missed the part about your ds!!  I wouldn't even attempt Blue Hen falls, honestly.  It's listed as easy but getting back up that hill to the parking spaces is a little rough, IMO.

This is for wheelchair accessibility but might give you some more info!  http://www.wheelchairtraveling.com/cuyahoga-valley-national-park-ohio-access-guide-for-wheelchair-travel/

Sorry, I totally missed the part about your ds!!  I wouldn't even attempt Blue Hen falls, honestly.  It's listed as easy but getting back up that hill to the parking spaces is a little rough, IMO.

This is for wheelchair accessibility but might give you some more info!  http://www.wheelchairtraveling.com/cuyahoga-valley-national-park-ohio-access-guide-for-wheelchair-travel/

The link confirms the short boardwalk leading to a view of Brandywine Falls is accessible.  Yay!  I think it's a great idea to send the others around the longer hike while you two relax and enjoy the view.  :)