Menu

Math SAT Subject Test

I think I may have asked this before, but I can't find the thread when I search.  Anyway, we are doing Saxon math (the integrated version).  DD just finished Algebra II and will be starting Advanced Mathematics next school year.  What does the SAT Subject test in math cover?  How far in Advanced Mathematics should DD go before she takes the SAT Subject test?

I don't know, but I can make a lot of assumptions.  (1) Most people taking subject tests are doing so in order to apply to the selective schools that recommend/require them.  (2)  Accordingly, most of them tend to be on the more bright/advanced side and may be sufficiently far in math to take the Math 2.  (3)  The scoring curve on the Math 2 is known to be more generous, i.e. easier to get an 800 (while at the same time, an 800 may seem like a low percentile at 88 or something around there, because so many kids score highly on it).

My understanding is that while the Math 1 material is less advanced, the curve is not as generous, i.e., just a few wrong drops the score significantly.

I think the answer for a particular student will depend on the reason for taking the math subject test.  If it's for selective college apps, it sounds like the Math 2 is the way to go.  If it's just to check some sort of homeschool requirement box for less- or non-selective apps, then the Math 1 would be easier to prepare for.

But I haven't BTDT.  Hopefully soon someone will come along and confirm this.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

What about MAT 1?  Do you know why someone would take MAT 1 rather than MAT 2?

The only reason I can imagine would be that they have not covered the extra material that is on Math 2. The curve on Math 1 is brutal, so if at all possible, take math 2 where the curve is more forgiving.

• Like 1

This makes sense.  We are taking 3-5 SATs in various subjects as one method to verify mommy grades.  DD is interested in a selective school at the moment (as well as other less-selective schools), but she is only completing 9th grade, so who knows what 11th and 12th grades will bring.

I don't know, but I can make a lot of assumptions.  (1) Most people taking subject tests are doing so in order to apply to the selective schools that recommend/require them.  (2)  Accordingly, most of them tend to be on the more bright/advanced side and may be sufficiently far in math to take the Math 2.  (3)  The scoring curve on the Math 2 is known to be more generous, i.e. easier to get an 800 (while at the same time, an 800 may seem like a low percentile at 88 or something around there, because so many kids score highly on it).

My understanding is that while the Math 1 material is less advanced, the curve is not as generous, i.e., just a few wrong drops the score significantly.

I think the answer for a particular student will depend on the reason for taking the math subject test.  If it's for selective college apps, it sounds like the Math 2 is the way to go.  If it's just to check some sort of homeschool requirement box for less- or non-selective apps, then the Math 1 would be easier to prepare for.

But I haven't BTDT.  Hopefully soon someone will come along and confirm this.

Quick and easy but not perfect way to verify if she is ready

Page 17 onwards of the 2006 SAT subject test prep booklet. 34 questions to do to see if there are any obvious weak areas

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/prof/counselors/tests/sat/2006-07-SAT-subject-tests-preparation-booklet.pdf

Page 14 (16 of 72) onwards of the 2016 booklet. 32 questions. The last question is on matrix which my boys have forgotten so they had to revise.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/sat-subject-tests-student-guide.pdf

For a clearer picture, borrow the Barron's SAT Math 1 and SAT Math 2 books from the library, doesn't matter which edition, and let her try the diagnostic test from each book. That is 50 questions per Math subject test and is supposed to be done in an hour. There is an evaluation chart which tells which topics the person is weaker in.

Engineering schools tend to ask for Math 2 subject test which is why my oldest did not take Math 1 subject test. My youngest will skip the Math 1 subject test and just take Math 2 too.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2