Menu

Singapore Math by CarsonDellosa

SEGway

Has anyone paired these (pdf, reproducible, $10) workbooks with the HIG/textbook for standards or US edition?

Is there a good reason why that wouldn't work.

Also, I searched and couldn't find discussion of Frank Shaffer's Challenge workbooks in comparison with either FAN Math Process Skills or Singapore's CWP.

It's so much cheaper (and did I mention reuseable...) that I'm wondering what about this "too good to be true" is.

TIA

Sarah

Edited by SEGway

I haven't used them, but I did buy 70 Must Know Word Problems for grade 1, which appears to be related.

http://www.carsondellosa.com/products/0768240115--70-Must-Know-Word-Problems-Workbook-0768240115#/?book%20media%20type=f389e45b92884d48844baaf09d49e3c5

I didn't care for the workbook and we ended up not using it at all because the problems were watered down versions of those in CWP 1. The language used in the word problems was very simple and repetitive. Every problem was x more than y or how many were left. There were also no problems about time, money, distance, ordinal numbers or anything other than quantities of balls, cars, etc. Perhaps the other books in the series are better, but this book definitely was inferior to CWP and IP.

I haven't used them, but I did buy 70 Must Know Word Problems for grade 1, which appears to be related.

http://www.carsondellosa.com/products/0768240115--70-Must-Know-Word-Problems-Workbook-0768240115#/?book%20media%20type=f389e45b92884d48844baaf09d49e3c5

I didn't care for the workbook and we ended up not using it at all because the problems were watered down versions of those in CWP 1. The language used in the word problems was very simple and repetitive. Every problem was x more than y or how many were left. There were also no problems about time, money, distance, ordinal numbers or anything other than quantities of balls, cars, etc. Perhaps the other books in the series are better, but this book definitely was inferior to CWP and IP.

Thanks for the review!

I couldn't see much of a preview for that series because it was a print-only option. I appreciate the information. 

The series that I could see (most of the book) were the Singapore Math and Singapore Challenge Math.

I'm wondering if anyone else has compared them to US edition workbooks and FAN Math Process Skills, respectively.

And, if they would work comparably well.

Any one else?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I flipped through the preview of both books. I don't think these are as good as the SM books, to be honest. The word problems are simpler in language and there are many more drill type questions than are in the SM books (CWP and IP, I haven't seen the EP books). For grade 3, I judge workbooks by how they handle fractions. I may have missed it, but I didn't see any at all in the Singapore Math Challenge workbook, and there were no word problems on fractions in Singapore Math Level 3. I'm not saying these books are not good, but the SM books are just very well done. 

In addition, there is much more explicit instruction on how to do the problems in these workbooks - this can be good and bad depending on your preference. There is also much more white space, which is great for students to work out problems. There is very little white space in IP and CWP, which can be annoying, but then again, you get more questions! The Carson Dellosa books are long, but they probably contain equal or fewer number of problems compared to SM.

Hope this helps. I am biased because I am such a fan of CWP and IP (especially IP), so go with what works for you. 

• Like 2

Underthebridge, are you saying they're different editions or totally different authors/programs/systems? CD is also selling ebooks that say CWP and something else I think. But I really didn't snoop enough to figure out if they're the same authors as the regular SM or different. Like is SM a trademarked name, or is everything Singapore Math if it's inspired by or coming from there??

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Ok, mystery solved! It's totally different. Here's a thread where they parsed it out before. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/349504-singapore-math-practice-books-at-costco/

Wow, that was quite a thread to read through! Reading it reminded me of a few other good points about the Carson Dellosa books. They had a nice section in both workbooks that detailed the learning goals. There were more worked out examples at the beginning of each section (five in Frank Schaffer vs two or three in CWP) There were also suggestions for mental math techniques and reinforcement - for example,

101 x number

is explained as

100 x number + number *1

This is followed by several practice problems using this tactic.

• Like 2

Thanks, OhE, for finding the older thread! 

I think I'm clear that these are not tied in any official way to the Primary Mathematics books.

They (this series, at least....) do look similar enough to me to the US edition version of the PM workbooks to be useable....especially if I'm teaching the actual material with the HIG/textbook (I have standard ed. for the HIG/tb) and just finding the right section for my student to do to go along with the lesson. 

I don't think the Challenge workbooks are really in the same class with Primary Mathematics CWP....but, as I keep looking at them they do seem to be roughly on par with the FAN Math Process skills books, imo....demonstrating standard and alternate strategies that aid in mental math and then giving sections of practice to cement understanding of the method. Extended illustrations of the usefulness of bar diagrams has helped at our house.

So...not a replacement for IP or CWP...but, maybe a helpful middle option to help a student get ready for CWP without being completely frustrated by practicing different strategies before putting them to use with harder problems.

Has anyone actually used either of these books? I'd love to hear from you, too!

Edited by SEGway