Menu

Singapore Math Practice books at Costco

WeeBeaks

These are published by Frank Schaeffer (sp?) and are not "official" Singapore Math texts. From the samples I've seen, there's not much of the "Singapore way" about them; first example, they encourage paper and pencil algorithms for what should obviously be done mentally. They are also light in terms of amount of content: There are *far* more exercises in the supplemental books published by singaporemath.com.

Just last month, I picked up the 3rd, 4th and 6th grade levels of the Schaffer Singapore Math Practice books from Rainbow for my daughter and my bonus student, both of whom could use extra math practice. I've found that these levels include problems that are very similar to the Singapore workbooks for each level. We've used SM Text/Workbook/IP/CWP from Early Bird through 6B (almost done!), and I don't think there's a marked difference in the quality of problems between the "official" Singapore Math workbooks and these. The FS Math Practice books are on a par with the Singapore Primary Math Workbooks, which are not as difficult as the Primary Math Intensive Practice workbooks. (The Math Practice books are published by FSchaffer in the States, but they're copyright by Singapore Asian Publications.)

I like them better than the SM Extra Practice books because they provide more problems... 2 Math Practice workbooks/grade vs. 1 Extra Practice workbook/grade. My boys don't need them, but my daughter and the former public school 6th grader who joined us this year, who hasn't used Singapore before, will definitely use them.

Wish I'd known they were at Costco! If you want additional Singapore Math practice beyond the text and workbook problems, these are good.

Thanks for posting!

Edited by yvonne

Hmm... I was at Costco a couple days ago and didn't see these. (And we comb the entire book section when we're there, LOL!) My store must have skipped them.

We're starting Singapore Math as soon as it arrives, and I could see using these books for additional practice or summer skills!!

I do not think they are the same publisher, which is why I linked in the first post to Amazon. On the back cover, the website for these lists http://www.carsondellosa.com

Frank Shaffer was bought out by Carson-Dellosa Publishing. Anything that was published under Frank Shaffer like their Singapore Math books are now distributed from Carson-Dellosa.

They are slower paced and more review than the regular ones, which we do actually use. That would be a feature not a bug for many kids.

For the person re mental math, these do have mental math drills. In the front is a summary of "Singapore Math" goals and techniques, looking like an intro to parents whose kids might not HS so are not familiar with them. Yes, they are indeed what is taught in the "real" Singapore series in terms of style and approach to the problem. The word problems are comparable to the regular series of books, not the Challenging Word Problems series of books. They cover a broader set of topics than a single year A/B series in regular Singapore, making them appear at least to address some of the complaints with Singapore that it doesn't review enough.

If someone was trying to use these as a primary textbook and nothing else, they would probably be disappointed. They don't appear to be meant for that at all, having very little expository on concepts. It even says on the cover that these are meant as a "direct complement to the current textbooks used in Singapore." And they are a complement, not an entire course of study.

I really dislike people saying this or that is inferior. Just about every product available on the market is a good fit for some family out there. The elitism sometimes seen on these boards makes me really roll my eyes sometimes. Perhaps my impression is colored a bit by the "special needs" area of this very board (I have one in that category though he is more 2E).

Yep, these absolutely wouldn't be right for some kids. Yep, they would be great for other kids in other situations. If someone else posted XYZ was on sale at Rainbow, I would not feel the need to step in say "You use that inferior carp with your kids?" And ESPECIALLY if I had not personally myself even used the product but was relying entirely on someone else's review!

:chillpill:

When most people on this forum read "Singpore Math" (as in your subject line) they are not thinking of Frank Schaffer books. Many people have purchased these "accidentally" because they are called "Singapore Math" (when many of the books people call Singapore Math are actually published under the name "Primary Mathemstics."

People are pointing out the difference because you failed to do so. Many people have purchased these books under the misimpression they were getting the "Singapore Math" program they heard discussed on this forum, but these are not it.

If you like the Frank Schaffer books, fine. Just don't be so sensitive if people point out they are not the materials that are generally called Singapore Math on this forum so people can make informed decisions.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

That would perhaps be so except I linked to the exact book on Amazon ........ SUCH a deception there. :D

Many people have ordered Frank Schaffer off Amazon thinking they were getting "Singapore Math." I had a friend tell me she got "some of thoseSingapore Math books you were talking about" at Barnes and Noble and they proved to be Frank Schaffer.

There is confusion out there. Some of us were trying to be helpful by pointing out that these are a completely different series than what is generally called Singapore Math on this forum.

I'm sure there was no animus towards you. Just a recognition that people might be confused about what was being offered at Costco.

Bill

I'm sure there was no animus towards you. Just a recognition that people might be confused about what was being offered at Costco.

Yes. It is an issue of trademark confusion, i.e., "Singapore math" vs. "Singapore Math" (not that I have any idea whether there is an actual trademark or a potential infringement). It is worthwhile understanding what one is buying (generic extra practice vs. extra practice by the textbook publisher), and in this case, the titles can easily lead to confusion. Indeed, there are even two different scope-and-sequences by the actual publisher SM (Standards vs. US Ed.), so knowing what one is buying may have particular importance to some consumers. I have some of the Shaffer books on my shelf because I too misunderstood once upon a time.

It's even more confusing because there's more than one Ministry approved publisher in Singapore. I bought a grade level lot of "Singapore Math textbooks-Ministry of Education approved" from Ebay and it ended up being the Shing Lee, rather than the Mitchell Cavendish I'd expected. The saving grace, though, is that Singapore textbooks, even between publishers, are a LOT more standardized, in both presentation and topics, than US ones. You can go between Shing Lee and Mitchell cavendish and have no significant problems, which isn't the case between, say, Saxon math and Everyday math. Which was good-because my DD saw the Shing Lee books and immediately fell in love with them, solely because where Mitchell Cavendish uses cute cartoon kids, Shing Lee uses cute cartoon animals :).

It's even more confusing because there's more than one Ministry approved publisher in Singapore. I bought a grade level lot of "Singapore Math textbooks-Ministry of Education approved" from Ebay and it ended up being the Shing Lee, rather than the Mitchell Cavendish I'd expected. The saving grace, though, is that Singapore textbooks, even between publishers, are a LOT more standardized, in both presentation and topics, than US ones. You can go between Shing Lee and Mitchell cavendish and have no significant problems, which isn't the case between, say, Saxon math and Everyday math. Which was good-because my DD saw the Shing Lee books and immediately fell in love with them, solely because where Mitchell Cavendish uses cute cartoon kids, Shing Lee uses cute cartoon animals :).

It is even more confusing than this. The only series written by the Ministry of Education was "Primary Mathematics." It is the series most people mean when thet say "Singapore Math," but it is not called "Singapore Math," it is called Primary Mathematics. There are several different versions of Primary Mathematics, including two versions aimed at the American market (US Edition and the Standards Edition) that are different that what was used in Singapore. Was being "past tense." Primary Mathematics is no longer used in Singapore.

The Ministry of Educaton got out of the textbook writing business and started approving textbooks written by a variety of publishing houses. If memory serves there are now four approved math series in Singapore, none of which is "Primary Mathematics."

One of those new series is called "My Pals Are Here!," which has been adapted for American schools and re-published as "Math in Focus." Shing Lee is another new approved series.

Then there are a whole slew of supplemental math books from Singapore from a variety of publishers. The whole thing can become confusing when "Singapore Math" is such a nebulous term.

As you know, that is why people posted the clarifying posts. The OP has decided to take offense when none was intended. It is just a potentially confusing situation. When the program that people mean when they say "Singapore Math" is not called Singapore Math (but Primary Mathematics) and other programs (like Frank Schaffera are called Singapore Math, even if they are not the materials being generally refered to) it is not had to understand either the potential for confusion, or attempts to point out the complexities of various programs that might be called "Singapore."

I know you already know this, but for everyone who'se been confused I'm sure it is now as clear as mud :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car