Menu

Give me some ideas for a WWI Co-op class

So my son has talked me into teaching a class about WWI at co-op in the fall. It will be for ages 12 and up, probably mostly 14-16 since there are a lot of kids in that age range at our Co-op. The class will be twelve one hour sessions. I love history and I'm excited about the class, but I'm trying to figure out where to get started with my planning. If you have any resources to recommend or know of a unit study I could use as an outline I'd appreciate it.

BYL has a WWII unit study. They use the Visual WWII dictionary which they also have for World War I. Then they pick historical fiction and fiction books from the time period and just have kids narrate from narration prompts which are easy to find online. From one of the readers they have the kids copy sentences from one of the fiction readers which you dictate the next week and they have questions they answer. After seeing it seems like it would not be hard to do similar with WWI even though there is no guide for that specifically.

BYL has a WWII unit study. They use the Visual WWII dictionary which they also have for World War I. Then they pick historical fiction and fiction books from the time period and just have kids narrate from narration prompts which are easy to find online. From one of the readers they have the kids copy sentences from one of the fiction readers which you dictate the next week and they have questions they answer. After seeing it seems like it would not be hard to do similar with WWI even though there is no guide for that specifically.

Just FYI -- BYL is 20% off this weekend.

There are a lot of good personal accounts of different roles people played in the war. You could do something where you do a sort of reader's theater of different voices. I used to do this when I was teaching... and now I can't find whatever website I used back in the day that had such a nice set of primary source accounts. It was so long ago, I'm sure it's been changed anyway. But there's lots of diary type accounts of soldiers in the trenches.

One of my favorite resources for WWI is actually The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I think about half of the episodes deal with the war in some fashion and it goes all over. I'm particularly fond of when he's a spy and tries to get the telephone installed in Prague with Kafka. But, um, more usefully, there are a number of episodes about the trenches and the episode about Versailles is quite good and informative.