Menu

Looking for salad ideas

MamaBearTeacher

I am thinking for summer, I might make 3 large salads that can be eaten together for 2-4 days at lunch. I am looking for ideas. I am also wanting to know how many days it can stay in the fridge without going bad. The salads cannot include beans, except green beans and green peas, and possibly a bit of chick peas. They cannot include vinegar, mayo, sugar, fruit, soy, honey, commercial salad dressings or pasta.

I eat a Texican salad : greens, grilled chicken, pico, pumpkin seeds (most people use tortilla strips), avocado, with a dressing of lime, olive oil, salt and pepper. Everything is put together right before eating, though. I do buy a big tub of mixed greens in the summer and use that for a base to help save time, but no, nothing premade.

• Like 1

[

how long does the avocado last in the fridge?

It sounds yummy!

quote name=HomeAgain" post="7593315" timestamp="1494759384]

I eat a Texican salad : greens, grilled chicken, pico, pumpkin seeds (most people use tortilla strips), avocado, with a dressing of lime, olive oil, salt and pepper. Everything is put together right before eating, though. I do buy a big tub of mixed greens in the summer and use that for a base to help save time, but no, nothing premade.

The easiest salad I make is cucumbers, tomatoes, a bit of onion, plus salt and cayenne to taste. It's best after it has been sitting for a few hours at least.

Tabbouli is nice. Soak 1/3 c bulgur in the juice of four lemons till the bulgur is tender. Finely chop a large bunch of parsley, lots of mint leaves, some cilantro if you like, a large bunch of green onions (or two small ones), and a couple of tomatoes. Add the bulgur and lemon juice, then add salt and olive oil to taste. This one is even better the next day.

This cucumber feta salad is my new favorite.

1/2 kilo cucumbers, chopped

1/4 cup crumbled feta

1-2 T chopped mint

1/2 T or more sumac

Pinch or more cayenne

A bit of minced garlic

Blop of olive oil

Lemon juice

Salt

Mix everything together and serve.

• Like 2

The easiest salad I make is cucumbers, tomatoes, a bit of onion, plus salt and cayenne to taste. It's best after it has been sitting for a few hours at least.

Tabbouli is nice. Soak 1/3 c bulgur in the juice of four lemons till the bulgur is tender. Finely chop a large bunch of parsley, lots of mint leaves, some cilantro if you like, a large bunch of green onions (or two small ones), and a couple of tomatoes. Add the bulgur and lemon juice, then add salt and olive oil to taste. This one is even better the next day.

This cucumber feta salad is my new favorite.

1/2 kilo cucumbers, chopped

1/4 cup crumbled feta

1-2 T chopped mint

1/2 T or more sumac

Pinch or more cayenne

A bit of minced garlic

Blop of olive oil

Lemon juice

Salt

Mix everything together and serve.

The mint and sumac sound like brilliant additions, can't wait to try!

I would probably lean towards preparing ingredients -- such as red pepper cut in strips -- ahead, but assembling and dressing the salads closer to meal times.

Not a salad, but something I like that keeps well is Japanese eggplant grilled with olive oil and salt.

ETA

Just thought of a salad -- wheat berries (cooked), scallion or red onion, and dried cranberries. It's supposed to sit for a bit, so flavors blend. I can't remember the dressing exactly, but I think olive and lemon juice would work.

I have got good salad ideas by getting small salads at Whole Foods and then copying them.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I keep the greens separate from the wet stuff and combine when served. So, lettuce in one bowl and then the cucumber/bell pepper/etc. in another. It lasts 3-4 days like that in good airtight containers.

Saw your post after I posted. Great minds think alike, lol.

• Like 1

I keep the greens separate from the wet stuff and combine when served.  So, lettuce in one bowl and then the cucumber/bell pepper/etc. in another.  It lasts 3-4 days like that in good airtight containers. 

I do this as well. I like to add olives, cilantro, and nuts at serving time. I have added a sprinkle of steel cut oats. Hard boiled eggs are also great. I rarely add meat to my salad, but almost any meat can be added at serving if you desire. I love raisins or dried cranberries, but you said no fruit. I make a mayo based dressing for my salads, so no help there.

My "base" contains cucumbers, mushrooms, squash, zucchini, radishes, green pepper, celery, carrots, maybe more but I am drawing a blank.

I need to make up a bowl now, since I have been out of it for a few days.