Menu

Read aloud ideas

I haven't been so good about doing read alouds with the older 2 kids this year due to a new baby. I'm thinking of looking for audio books instead to do for now (our library has a huge selection of books on cd).

I'm looking for read aloud suggestions for upper elementary school age....dd is almost 11 and finishing up 5th grade and ds is 9 years and finishing up 4th grade (but I've always brought him up to dd's level for them to work together).

ETA: I might as well ask for suggestions for my 5 year old (kinder) too:) She reads at about a 2nd-3rd grade level, but need to find some good read aloud for her as well!

TIA!

Edited by avazquez24

If your family likes music, there"s a series of CDs called Maestro Classics that tell the stories behind ballets & other classical pieces--all set to music (i.e., Peter & the Wolf, Swan Lake, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, etc.). Classical Kids is another line of CDs along that same vein. We especially like Beethoven Lives Upstairs, which weaves his biography & music into an engaging story. These are suggestions you may want to periodically incorporate into your audio time, just to shake up the routine.

Edited by Earthmerlin

Winnie the Pooh for your 5 year old. My DD practically had the whole thing memorized in K because she listened to it so much. She even started pronouncing certain words with a British accent and would *correct* my pronunciation when we read the book together.