Menu

Help me with math for my 2nd grader (Right Start/BJU?)

I'm not sure what to do for math for my rising 2nd grade DD next year.

She's done Singapore Early Bird and is just finishing up 1A & 1B. I don't like juggling all of the books and she definitely doesn't know her addition and subtraction math facts, so I switched over to CLE for that but she hates it. She thinks math is hard and that she's not good at it. It's the worst part of her day. (I've used CLE with my older kids fairly successfully and it's the most intuitive for me to teach, but it is not a fit for her.)

I don't want to go with Singapore next year. Math Mammoth is also out. I'm looking at Right Start B or BJU 2nd grade because they both include more visuals.

I'm looking at BJU because of the mastery approach that also includes some review, the colorful pages, the scripted TMs and the use of manipulatives. She needs a concrete approach and direct teaching.  I think she could easily slide into BJU 2nd grade based on what I've seen of samples. I also am considering moving my older boys from CLE to BJU because they would benefit from more of a mastery approach and it would be ideal to have everyone using the same publisher. 

Right Start sounds amazing but my concern is that B is really a first grade program and it'll put her a year behind. I want something that will boost her confidence and get her excited about math again. I've heard that Right Start is like All About Reading in some ways -- and AAR was our huge curriculum hit this year; her reading took off and is doing incredibly well. I need something like that for math. :) 

Advice?

Thanks! 

I think BJU is a solid program so you would probably be just fine going with that. I am a HUGE RS fan. My kindergartener is doing RS B this year and I am floored by what he can do. My understanding is that RS isn't designated by grade per se so I know that some people have had their 2nd graders in it. With that said, I have never seen C so I cannot speak to how challenging that would be for her. I do love it though. I also have a kindergartener in MUS and a 1st grader in Horizons/Singapore combo. I say this because I think learning math is really personal. Some kids really need one that speaks to them. Knowing your student needs something concrete either of those would probably be solid. Saxon is another one that is scripted and has manipulatives in the K-3 years.

• Like 1

Your description of your daughter sounds similar to my 8th grade daughter.  She started in BJU in private K, started homeschooling in 1st and I put her in BJU for 1st and 2nd.  She never liked math, but did OK at it.  I moved to CLE for 3rd and 4th and she HATED it (I thought the built in math fact practice would be great, but the lessons were too long for her and the fact drills were TORTURE).  Went back to BJU for 5th, and then did Saxon 76 for 6th.  In retrospect, I wish I'd just stuck with BJU all the way.  Her biggest issue was getting the math facts cemented, which really did not happen until  I got a subscription to Reflex math.   Now there are Kate Snow's math fact books, which I bought for my younger daughter, and I would have tried those if they'd been around.  http://kateshomeschoolmath.com/how-to-teach-addition-facts-that-stick/  BJU does not integrate math fact practice very well, so I'd try Reflex or the Kate Snow approach in addition to BJU.  

I now have a K'er who is good at and likes math.  She blew through Singapore K, and then I decided to switch her to Right Start B because I thought it would be perfect for her.  She is completely capable of it, but doesn't like it as much as she liked Singapore.  Getting through the lessons is a slog, but she does like the games.    I'm either going back to Singapore, or switching her to BJU, because she does much better having a workbook.   Some of the abacus approach is actually confusing to her.  I also use AAR and AAS, and there is some similiarity to RS, but I don't like RS as much.  I think it would be fine to put your daugher in Right Start B, because you probably plow through it quickly.   You could even call RS and talk to them; they're very helpful and friendly.

If you want to move her to BJU 2, I think she'd be fine coming from Singapore 1 (which I did use briefly with older DD), based on what I remember.  I would supplement the math facts, however, like I mentioned above.  BJU definitely has the cute/colorful factor going for it, and there's a story that is woven through each level that makes it a little more fun (my older DD liked that part a lot). And there are lots of hands on manipulatives for teaching each lesson.  However, BJU does have to be taught, although I don't think its as intense as RS.

Edited by monalisa

We love BJU math, but one thing I will mention is that it is time consuming to teach.  If you teach a lesson as scripted, it can take 30 mins or so.  So if you move all three kids to BJU, just be prepared for it to eat up a chunk of time. 

I'm not sure what to do for math for my rising 2nd grade DD next year.

She's done Singapore Early Bird and is just finishing up 1A & 1B. I don't like juggling all of the books and she definitely doesn't know her addition and subtraction math facts, so I switched over to CLE for that but she hates it. She thinks math is hard and that she's not good at it. It's the worst part of her day. (I've used CLE with my older kids fairly successfully and it's the most intuitive for me to teach, but it is not a fit for her.)

I don't want to go with Singapore next year. Math Mammoth is also out. I'm looking at Right Start B or BJU 2nd grade because they both include more visuals.

I'm looking at BJU because of the mastery approach that also includes some review, the colorful pages, the scripted TMs and the use of manipulatives. She needs a concrete approach and direct teaching. I think she could easily slide into BJU 2nd grade based on what I've seen of samples. I also am considering moving my older boys from CLE to BJU because they would benefit from more of a mastery approach and it would be ideal to have everyone using the same publisher.

Right Start sounds amazing but my concern is that B is really a first grade program and it'll put her a year behind. I want something that will boost her confidence and get her excited about math again. I've heard that Right Start is like All About Reading in some ways -- and AAR was our huge curriculum hit this year; her reading took off and is doing incredibly well. I need something like that for math. :)

Advice?

Thanks!

Well, level B is for first graders, but honestly, my 4th grader did D last year (she was in 4rh at the time) and slid right over into math mammoth 4th grade, second semester at the beginning of this year, and has completed all of that and 5th grade too. She could have moved into E had it been available, and probably completed half of E and moved right along...but it wasn't so we jumped ship. My point is, start her in B, move fast on the things that come easy, and she will be in C before you know it. Some of the concepts will come easier than you might expect.

What about Miquon? Since it's a very different approach she might be willing to approach it with an open mind and it could build up her confidence. 

We tried it in kindergarten and it wasn't a good fit.

We love BJU math, but one thing I will mention is that it is time consuming to teach.  If you teach a lesson as scripted, it can take 30 mins or so.  So if you move all three kids to BJU, just be prepared for it to eat up a chunk of time. 

Math is one of my top priorities so I'm willing to put both time and money into it. Not that I don't put time and money into other things, but you know what I mean ... :) 

Thanks for the feedback, all. I've scoured the BJU samples but won't have a chance to actually look at them until mid-July when a nearby consultant has a materials display. If I order Right Start, I'd pay for it with charter funds and orders need to be submitted around July 1, so I'm leaning towards just going with BJU.