Menu

Singapore 1A & 1B and skip counting

Mommy22alyns

Becca's nearly finished with Singapore 1A and we'll be moving on to 1B soon. For all the concepts in Singapore, I don't see any time devoted to skip counting, which I know is an important goal for a kindergartener. Did we miss out on this by going to 1A instead of doing an Earlybird math (which would have stifled Becca anyway)? If you used Singapore from 1st on, how did you teach/explain skip counting?

Are you using the new standards edition? If you are, they go over it just before multiplication. I'm looking in dd's 1/b from last year....

counting by 2's p 46-47

by 5's p.19

by 10's 76-79

It's not a whole lot. You practice more in the workbook. Sometimes they have you do it indirectly through tally charts(each symbol stands for 5), etc.

Becca's nearly finished with Singapore 1A and we'll be moving on to 1B soon. For all the concepts in Singapore, I don't see any time devoted to skip counting, which I know is an important goal for a kindergartener. Did we miss out on this by going to 1A instead of doing an Earlybird math (which would have stifled Becca anyway)? If you used Singapore from 1st on, how did you teach/explain skip counting?

My son uses Singapore 1B, and he also uses Saxon (first he used 1 and now he does 2) which has excellent skip counting exercises.

My son began Singapore at level 1, so we didn't do the Kindergarten work.

Do you have the HIG for Singapore 1A or 1B? Perhaps it has some recommendation in it about skip counting. I don't own the HIG for Singapore 1A or 1B so I don't know.

Are you using the new standards edition? If you are, they go over it just before multiplication. I'm looking in dd's 1/b from last year....

counting by 2's p 46-47

by 5's p.19

by 10's 76-79

It's not a whole lot. You practice more in the workbook. Sometimes they have you do it indirectly through tally charts(each symbol stands for 5), etc.

Nope, just the regular old US edition.

They're supposed to be the same material, just rearranged to fit with the sequence taught in California.

Either way, I gather from the responses that it's not covered enough. I had taught dd with a chart of numbers to 100 and some manipulatives so I didn't notice it was missing.

I sometimes wonder what else I'm missing in math since Singapore is all I use.

You can always get a HIG to help bridge the gap. I order my HIG's from Sonlight for the older grades but I can tell you that MFW sells daily lesson plans that include suggestions for what else you need to be doing with your child. They've helped me not to miss anything.