Menu

Dr. Hive -- what is this term?

AimeeM

It was at the bottom of DS7's latest MRI (w/contrast) report from about a couple months ago. When I tried googling it, I only get a whole lot of medical journal articles that I can't really understand.

This was not noted or present on a previous MRI, which was done many years ago. DS7 is our medically complex kiddo, but no known neurological issues. He was recently dx'd as autistic, like his younger brother, but all other medical issues are congenital (heart, lung, vascular, growth). 

I'm sure it probably means nothing, but I was curious why it wasn't mentioned to us -- I just found it in his eval. Is it just a fancy term for "nothing abnormal"?

This particular scan was done by his endocrin, and only because DS had a sudden onset "turning eye" and the endocrin was concerned that the optho hadn't ordered a brain scan. 

Cavum septum pellucidum et vergae

Edited by AimeeM

Septum pellucidum

Cave of septum pellucidum includes info on vergae

The cavum vergae (CV), along with the cavum septum pellucidum (CSP) is a persistence of the embryological fluid-filled space between the leaflets of the septum pellucidum and is a common anatomical variant. https://radiopaedia.org/articles/cavum-vergae

Looks like an anatomical variation which is common but might indicate possible fetal neural maldevelopment?

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

It's a normal variant. 

There are spaces in the brain where the CSF is (cerebrospinal fluid). The cavum septum pellucidum is normally there in the fetus but most often fuses and isn't seen in older people but in a certain percentage of people it persists. The cavum vergae is a similar space that is techically separate but that often ends up connected to the cavum septum pellucidum and is mentioned together. 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1