Menu

Curriculum for a Mom who needs help

Mom28kds

This is especially in the area of writing and composition but I would like suggestions for all areas because I'm not sure of my ability to school upper grades (6th and up). I have sent my older kids to the local jr high and high school but I might need to HS my younger ones longer and I don't think I can give them what they need to succeed. Can I get suggestions? Any programs that teach how to write and grade it also?

I really like Classical Composition from Memoria Press. My son started doing it in 4th grade, which they recommend as a standard time for starting the series, but I've also had my daughter start it in 8th grade, at the beginning. The instructor guide takes it step by step and has very good example answers for each exercise.

Erica in OR

• Like 2

For writing, check out Essentials in Writing by Matthew Stephens. I really liked the incremental approach, and the teaching is all laid out for you (short video segments of about 3-5 minutes and then they have an assignment based directly on that). Here's a review I did awhile back. 

If you want the program to do the grading for you, check out Write at Home. It's expensive, but you wouldn't have to grade then.

• Like 2

We have liked Writing with Skill and the assignments from our Rod and Staff English. The WWS gives very detailed instructions for grading/checking in a checklist format. 

On other assignments as long as grammar and mechanics are correct, we just then focus on the concept being taught and focus on what needs to be continuously worked on. If the assignment is to outline, we work on following the steps as laid out. If the child doesn't get it, we just keep working on it. Each kid is in a different place with writing, so I just work with them on what they need to work on.

• Like 1

We like WWS.  My youngest will start it next year as a 7th grader. It's mostly independent (directed to the student) and it breaks the writing process down in manageable pieces.  The instructor's guide (for the parent) has a list of specific ways to help the student if they get stuck at any particular point, so it can be open and go as needed for the parent. It also includes a list if examples so you have a strong sense of different and acceptable answers, which is important people who don't want something especially formulaic. There's a rubric for evaluating each piece of writing.  I think it's very thorough covering each type of academic writing. 

• Like 1