Menu

Trivial but inconvenient injury

Danestress

I cracked the nail on my thumb to almost the halfway point. I keep my nails short so there is nothing to cut off from the end, but the nail is jagged across the surface. I don't think I can do much until it grows out, but I need to protect it, and bandaids/waterproof tape are not cutting it.

To keep it from snagging, I could apply multiple layers of clear polish, I guess? Or maybe cover the nail with superglue?

This seems like such a stupid thing, but I am wanting to do all the housework, yard work, cooking etc I normally do, and this is making it hard! I am not vain about how solutions look, but bandaids/tape quickly get gross!

I am afraid to file it, but a finger cot is a brilliant thing that I did not even know existed! Thanks!

• Like 2

I've done that before. It hurts so bad!! The advice you got above is what worked for me. Just keep plenty of glue and more than one finger cot on hand as it seems to take forever to grow out. Superglue worked better than nail polish for me. And try to use gloves around the house/outside when you can. When it snags.....oh man. I almost want to pass out remembering it. When I had to work with my horses I would take a finger brace and cut it short,  and then tape it securely around my thumb, because even with a glove, it could still snag or get smacked, and the slightest pressure was painful. 

Don't use nail polish, it really isn't designed to hold broken nails together.

Superglue/nail glue are the same thing, cyanacrolate, I believe, is the chemical. Even that by itself may not hold the nail together if you are rough with your hands.

A "nail wrap" is a type of repair that glues a thin piece of fabric to your nail to hold it together while it grows out. Nails salons do this, they also have kits at places like Walmart and drug stores. http://www.kissusa.com/nails/nail-care/fix-it-up-silk-wrap-repair-kit

You can also tear a piece of a tea bag and glue it to your nail. Try that first. This might take 3months or more to grow out if it is that low.

And it isn't trivial. It hurts and you need the use of all fingers on both hands!

• Like 1

I have been dealing with the exact same thing...like forever. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the nail keeps splitting downward.

The only thing I have found that keeps it from getting snagged and from getting icky is nail glue, like the kind that they use to put fake nails on with.

Did you have an injury? Sometimes if the nail is damaged from where it grows, it will never be right again.

• Like 1