Menu

Bean bag type chair or cushions for teens -- suggestions

Shellydon

If you don't care much about durability, you could get a few of the Big Joe chairs at Walmart. They are cheap and the kids do sit in them. I noticed them in dorms at DD's college, yoo. But they don't keep their shape for long at all. So there's that.

Crucial questions:  Do they pile on furniture together and squish on the same couch, etc.? Or will they all want their own separate thing?  How do they lounge and what are they doing while using the seating?  (playing games--do they need to be upright? or watching movies, etc.?)

If they share seating space, a couple of these are great:  http://www.target.com/p/relax-sack-6-ft-large-memory-foam-bean-bag-lounger/-/A-51690436  They have other sizes/shapes, too.  

We have some firm foam cube type ottomans that we use as seating and they have lasted for years.  They have removable faux suede covers and weren't super expensive.  They don't have backs, though, so no reclining.  But we can scatter 6 or more around a room to accommodate several people!

https://www.yogibo.com/bean-bags/?gclid=CN7rge-4tNMCFQ6SaQod-vkEbg

Yogibo. We love it. I bought one for my daughter for Christmas. I spent so many hours researching and in shock of the cost of bean bag chairs and then decided on this after watching several videos. It is used therapeutically for kids with autism. It can sit like a chair or make like a bed. We love to sit it on its side so it looks sort of canoe shaped and then lay in it. I have taken many glorious naps. We have the maxi. It is big but can stand on its end in a 4 x 4 space.  

We got both cushions and bean bags, and the cushions have been the handiest.  You can stack them up to make them "taller" seating.  You can lay them end to end to stretch out on them.  You can set them in front of other furniture or walls so you have a "seat back" if you want to lean against something.  They seem to take longer (more years) to break down and flatten into unusable blobs than do bean bags.  And they stack up more neatly when not in use (cat on top of stack optional).

Frankly, dd uses them daily when she's doing schoolwork -- she has a low table she sets her laptop on, and she can just sit on a floor cushion, then.

If I needed to add anything now I'd go with the ottomans that Sixpackofun mentions.  But I'd get the cushions first.

Thanks for the ideas.  The Yogibo and Love Sac are too expensive.  I am wanting 4-6 of them.  The Big Joe we've had before, but it lost it's shape within 2 weeks.  I think I might just get some cushions.

I got a big joe and here's how to fix that going flat problem (my son's OT taught me this trick):

Get one of these foam mattress toppers (twin size) for $10, cut it into large sections and stuff it into the big joe and "shape" the chair as you go along. Need some good scissors to cut it, but once you make a cut, you can tear it, I did large supports for the back and "sides" then filled in the seat area. 6 months later (and 4 bouncy kids) and still going strong. (Even I can sit in it).

• Like 2