Menu

car suggestions...�

bettyandbob

we need to look for a used car for a young person to possibly to take to Missouri. I've never been in this part of the country, so, I do not know what is needed for possible weather issues. What's a reliable vehicle that would be good. I'm going to guess 10-15K is the price range. We may need to go lower on the price. Needs to be reliable. 

I would say as long as the car has good (not worn) all-weather tires, the driver should be fine. We have owned 4-cylinder small hatchbacks, 4-cylinder sedans, and 6-cylinder sedans, and 6-cylinder vans, and the only thing that is hard to drive on is ice—and no vehicle but a Zamboni does well on that!

It would be nice to have a back window defroster if the car won't be parked in a garage.

• Like 1

If it snows in MO, it is rare, and they usually close schools and make a huge deal out of it, and town life comes to a stand still. He won't be driving in snow much, because everything shuts down for a few flakes. Which will thaw in a day or two.

And if there is ice, you cannot drive any kind of car anyway and stay home.

MO is flat with some hills; no steep mountain driving.

Any normal car will be fine, with regular tires. Nobody here changes to snow tires (not enough snow) and you never need chains.

ETA: But summers get hot and muggy, and you want a  working A/C!

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Yep, for regular driving any car is fine. Nothing special needed. Working heat and A/C is probably necessary, as you'll be using them in the same day.

I went to college in a more rural area in MO, and drove a truck. Locals always waved at me when I drove past them. That stopped when I started driving DH's little Civic around! People love trucks out here. But the Civic worked just fine. Maybe even better than my truck, because I had to pile sandbags in the bed every winter to get down the hill from my apartment.