Menu

help me organize my new camper

kfeusse

we just bought a new camper...and now I am trying to figure out how to best (and cheaply) organize it.   The cupboards above the sink in the kitchen are HUGE....but there are no shelves.  The space is 15" deep, 18" tall and 44" wide.   

I also have a weird pantry space....there are 3 separate compartments, each are 9" deep, 14" high and 23" long.

I need some sort of shelves or organizers...but they need to be sturdy enough to be able to travel with things on them.  I have looked at some stacking shelves, but I fear while we are traveling they will collapse or shift  and everything with them.  

It seems like many double shelves have only about 3-4 inches in between the shelves, which doesn't give me much space for certain items.

I really would prefer amazon, since I have prime and they would get here quickly.   But if you know of the perfect thing that isn't amazon, tell me anyway. 

Also, under my dinette is storage...and there are doors at the end of each "leg" but not drawers.  Would under the bed boxes be the best option there? Or has someone figured out a better solution. 

any other cool organizing tips some one has to offer, I am all ears.  

thanks.

Ziploc brand space bags. We use these for linens, extra blankets, etc. I also use wire shelves in the cabinets. Milk crates for the under storage compartments really help.

OT- Things I recommend you have in the camper-

I also highly recommend a small wet/dry vac for the camper. And a small tool kit of household tools.

I would actually go camping a time or two before you do anything. Then, you will learn exactly what you need to carry with you and where you would like it to go. Versatility is key, also, as your camping needs will change over the years. I like stylish stackable metal baskets in my RV. I think I bought them at WalMart in multiple sizes.

• Like 1

How timely, I'm thinking about reorganizing our camper, too. I'm thinking about doing something like these stackable bins for my pantry area. You can get them in different sizes and heights to match your dimensions. Bonus: they're cheaper and (should be) sturdier than the kitchen bins! The downside is that they aren't very pretty.

Keep like items together with little plastic totes. It's much easier to carry one tote that has the ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo, and pickles out to your picnic table. I do the same thing with silverware, napkins, and plates.

For the area under your dinette, I find it easier to access with a drawer. You could use a plastic drawer, like this, to make it more drawer-like. I have a very deep drawer on one side and I keep my pots and pans in it. On the other side, I have the open area like what you have. I stash extra sheets and blankets way in the back, and then I've found that the packs of water I buy fit perfectly in there.

Line your cabinets with a good non-slip liner. My plates and coffee cups stay put on this stuff.

We are weekend campers and don't keep power to the camper during the week, so all perishables come home with us. During the camping season, I keep non-perishable food items in the camper, but I keep it all in clear shoebox containers with lids to keep out any bugs. They're perfect to stash pop-tarts, granola bars, popcorn, etc. I keep one that just holds all of DH's coffee-making supplies. Super easy for him to get everything he needs in one swoop.

I would actually go camping a time or two before you do anything. Then, you will learn exactly what you need to carry with you and where you would like it to go. Versatility is key, also, as your camping needs will change over the years. I like stylish stackable metal baskets in my RV. I think I bought them at WalMart in multiple sizes.

can you show me a picture of the baskets that you are referring to?

With limited space and weight being an issue I think there's a very fine line between the practicality/usefulness/benefit of bins, baskets and other organizational things versus the extra weight and bulk the bins themselves add. So I would *very* carefully consider each space and what you will likely need to pack into that space before you buy anything. I'd be leery of putting anything but the very lightest (and non-breakable) things on stacking shelves. And that's based on my experience in a motorized RV. My understanding is that ride in a camper is much worse.

on the shelves above my sink, all I plan to put up there are some plastic dishes and cups....a few totes of measuring cups and such.  Also I plan to put food that comes in bigger boxes...cereal, crackers etc.

In the pantry will be things like canned goods, smaller boxed foods....that sort of thing. 

I think there is more space than we will actually use...or at least for kitchen type items.  the pantry shelves could also be used for something besides food.  Paper towels rolls, tissue boxes etc. 

I don't know...still figuring it out.  thanks for all of the ideas.