Menu

How in homeschooling in your state?

frugalmamatx

This is a s/o of my moving thread a few weeks back. I'm still contemplating moving to a state other than Texas, and considering options. It's tough trying to find somewhere with a low enough cost of living, cheap enough housing, and a decent public transit system - adding in homeschooling is making it even harder to find a good fit!

If you homeschool in a State other than Texas, can you outline the pros & cons of homeschooling in your state? I'm especially looking at places that do umbrella/ charter schools or similar and give funding for homeschoolers. As a low income homeschooler, I'm willing to make the trade off of testing for funds to give a better education than I can currently. 

Well, Idaho is known as a the northern Texas. :)

Definitely LCOL and housing that is proportionate.

No public transit except for a few buses downtown.

We don't have charter/umbrella schools...however! Because we have no homeschooling laws, it's VERY popular and you can find a ton of homeschool activities from the library system (which is incredible) to local businesses, the zoo, museums, ymca, etc.  Also, the libraries (especially the library at Boise State which is free for the community) have significant curriculum sections that go from PreK to 12th so if you could theoretically homeschool decently for free the entire time.

I am in NC. It is very easy to HS.  Online makes it look like it is hard, but it isn't.

They say you have to test yearly, but you can test through Seton for $25 or do what I did and buy a Woodcock Johnson test (used and very cheap, older version) and use that every year.  I paid $25 for it and used it about 7 of our 10 HSing  years for 3 kids.  it saved a bundle.

Oh, and no one has ever asked  to see my HS testing records.  In fact, I am sure there is a year or two in there where I didn't test at all.

You can go through the online state program for free if you so choose, K12 I think it is.  But there are oodles of homeschoolers here and so many free and inexpensive resources.  Play groups, park groups, co-ops, paid classes, teen groups, you name it.

My friends just moved from NC to TX and they said they are paying MORE in TX for a lot of things.....property taxes, housing, water bills, insurance, etc...they were surprised.

Well, CA has the charters that give you $$ but then you are public schooler and have to do the testing, yada yada. Some love it, really depends on the ES (supervising teacher you get). Many quit by high school because the choices go away (thanks to a-g requirements) and you HAVE to use their chosen curriculum, etc, etc.

COL is high, pretty much everywhere I think. There might be some areas up north, but then you won't have so many choices for other things (activities, jobs, public transport, etc.)

We moved from Texas to Indiana. The laws here are very similar. All I have to do is track our school days to make sure we have a minimum of 180 days. I don't turn it in to anyone though. I just have to keep that in our records. The cost of living up here is good and the museums are surprisingly good. And the parks are really nice where we live. I'm actually really liking it here.

FL - homeschooling requires notice, and portfolio records. Yearly you need to show progress depending on ability of child- review of portfolio by a teacher, standardized testing yearly at home or with a psychologist, or maybe testing through the school (state testing). Keep portfolio records for a couple years.

Perks - Florida state college scholarships for high schoolers who jump through the hoops, duel enrollment, money for certain disabilities (not many), extracurriculars at local schools (school dependent), decent virtual school (per some families) if you want to outsource, many instate colleges to choose from. Low COL but higher in the biggest metro area (Miami), transport accessible only in most cities. A lot of people like the weather. No state taxes.

Biggest cost of living is determined by home prices. So if you can find a city with good home prices that are lower than yours, you may come out ahead enough financially to cover curriculum.

But, usually every place has a very wide range of housing. I can travel within five blocks and home prices vary by $200,000+. If you live in an average home but can sell and move to a $50,000 cheaper home, it may financially be the best option since Texas already has a relatively low COL and no state taxes. Unless you just want to move.

Edited by displace

I am in NC. *snip*

My friends just moved from NC to TX and they said they are paying MORE in TX for a lot of things.....property taxes, housing, water bills, insurance, etc...they were surprised.

That's actually part of why I'm considering moving. Our property taxes have gotten outrageous, with the value increasing 10% {limit} every year for several years. And my home is in no way work what they say! Same with the water bill - doubled in two years despite less use, plus every so often they decide they need another deposit.