Menu

Philadelphia with three little kids?

MedicMom

I'm going stir crazy; I'm not working this week and my husband won't be home, so I told the kids to pack their stuff and we are leaving town.

Philadephia is about 3.5 hours away and they really want to go to an aquarium. I don't really have to be back until next week, but I'm thinking of staying for three days. Any recommendations of things to do for one adult and three kids ages 6, 4 and 23 months??? I can't manage water parks by myself but everything else that I can use a stroller is fair game.

Also the Aquarium in Camden, NJ. I haven't been since I was a kid but I hear it is great. Only reason I haven't been is because my best friend works for the one in Baltimore and gets us in for free. You just can't beat free.

Edited to add: it is only a few miles outside of Philly.

Edited by hjffkj

The Adventure Aquarium in Camden is nice; not the best one out there but good.  It's been a few years since we've been there.

My kids were older when we moved to the Philly area so I am not good with help on your ages.  I've heard great things about Please Touch Museum though we've never been. We enjoyed the Franklin Institute but I'm not sure about the youngest.

The Fairmount Water Works might be interesting, and the area around it is beautiful.  You may like the Academy of Natural Sciences.  

Fairmount Park is huge and diverse.  We have not explored much of it, I'm afraid; for example, I don't know anything about playgrounds except that there is a huge one somewhere (Smith Memorial Playground and Playhouse). 

In the suburbs, not too far away, is one of my favorite places, the Morris Arboretum.  Good for strollers and for running around.  Not a playround, but a beautiful and varied garden. If you look at the site, look for "Out on a Limb."  

I hesitate to give real recommendations just because of the ages.  I'm way out of touch with the younger crowd now!  

Edited by marbel

The kids will love the Please Touch Museum, Adventure Aquarium, and Franklin Institute. The problem is that none of these places are super cheap. You may find some Groupons though so be sure to check there before you go. At the Please Touch Museum there's a lot of free street parking too.

The Philadelphia Zoo is nice too, and the Academy of Natural Sciences is worth a visit as well if you are still looking for suggestions. :)

If I had to pick one thing for children that age though, I would definitely pick the Please Touch - it's a lot of fun.