Menu

Reading instruction Q

MyLife

My 7 year old son has completed 75 percent or more of Abeka Letters and Sounds 1, but he is probably reading on a beginning 2nd grade level. Here at the very end, Abeka is teaching many new special sounds very quickly. He is able to keep up.

My question is...Should I continue with Abeka Letters and Sounds 2 next year? Should I stop formal phonics after this year and just review rules and sounds as he reads aloud and works on spelling?

The spelling book I chose does not cover all of Abeka's higher level special sounds (like -tion), so did I make a mistake in choosing this spelling?

My main concern is that I don't want to stop phonics too early and have a third grade slump, but I also don't want phonics to turn into busywork.

Thank you, ladies, for all your insight.

ETA: For next year, I have planned for him to read through popular books for 2nd grade like Frog and Toad, Billy and Blaze, Henry and Mudge, etc. I also purchased Steck Vaughn Spelling.

Edited by MyLife

Both of my girls had a point somewhere in the middle of A Beka L&S 1 where they could suddenly read practically everything. I finished out that text (with each of them) but then stopped doing phonics instruction, switching to First Language Lessons 2 for grammar and mom-selected books for reading.

We don't use a formal spelling program because they're both natural spellers. I tried with DD#1, but it was a chore for both of us ;), and not really necessary. I just correct their spelling as I see mistakes in their writing. If the mistakes become habitual, we'll revisit spelling as a formal subject, but for now this works.

• Like 1

Our spelling is below her reading level. I think that is actually better. While they may be able to read special sounds, they may not be able to spell them.

Our phonics program went to a 4th grade level, but our spelling is a first grade program. It's been working well for us. We did phonics until she could decode at a 4th grade level. I would continue on with phonics to solidify the grasp he has on them

Edited by ReadingMama1214
  • Like 1

My 7 year old son has completed 75 percent or more of Abeka Letters and Sounds 1, but he is probably reading on a beginning 2nd grade level. Here at the very end, Abeka is teaching many new special sounds very quickly. He is able to keep up.

My question is...Should I continue with Abeka Letters and Sounds 2 next year? Should I stop formal phonics after this year and just review rules and sounds as he reads aloud and works on spelling?

The spelling book I chose does not cover all of Abeka's higher level special sounds (like -tion), so did I make a mistake in choosing this spelling?

My main concern is that I don't want to stop phonics too early and have a third grade slump, but I also don't want phonics to turn into busywork.

Thank you, ladies, for all your insight.

ETA: For next year, I have planned for him to read through popular books for 2nd grade like Frog and Toad, Billy and Blaze, Henry and Mudge, etc. I also purchased Steck Vaughn Spelling.

I took my older dd out of a Christian school that used all ABeka, during Easter break of first grade. There were still six weeks of school left, at least, so I know that she did not finish the whole phonics course, but I never needed to do anything else with her as far as phonics/reading. We didn't do anything formal for spelling, either, at any time, so I guess she was able to figure out all of the higher-level "special" sounds. :-)

If you think your ds could use more phonics/spelling, you might consider Spalding, which is a complete "language arts" course for children until they are, oh, nine years old: reading/phonics, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing, all in one fell swoop.

• Like 1

Ellie, what sort things would you consider in determining if a child needs more phonics instruction or not?

If he is not able to read age-appropriate material, he may need more phonics instruction. Spalding does the job, whether it's phonics or spelling. :-)

• Like 1

The assessments on the phonics page website are really helpful. I found that they do a good job of determining if phonics is needed further.

I gave him the 40L Quick Screen Reading Grade Level Test from the Phonics Page. He read into the fifth grade list before missing 5 in a row. His total score was a 3.7.

We have an Abeka display coming up. I think I will go to it and flip through the workbook to see how much of the material is a repeat of what we are using for spelling and language arts.

Edited by MyLife