Menu

Spelling Vocab combo for upper elementary?

chellesnead

I have used and loved CLE for LA this year, but my upcoming 5th and 6th graders will be doing an online writing class that has a strong grammar emphasis as well, so now I'm faced with a curriculum change I wasn't expecting.  Since their grammar will be covered through their online class, I've got a gap now with spelling.  I am thinking about some sort of spelling and vocabulary combo for them with an emphasis on roots and word parts.  I'm sure there's something out there like this, but the only thing I'm familiar with is Wordly Wise 3000 which isn't exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm hoping for something that is somewhat independent (though I don't mind a few minutes a day on my part) as I'm balancing 4 homeschooling plus a toddler.  Thank you!

We've used soaring with spelling for my younger child - it's very straightforward. My older child has used Vocabulary with Classical Roots and we've just chosen 10 words each week to use as spelling. One of these books takes us a semster, so we focus on other things in the spring semester. We also use Spelling Works! which is a workbook of general rules. It doesn't include vocabulary, although it does focus on breaking down words into parts - that's part of teaching when to double a consonant, for example.. I tend to run through it every other year as a refresher during the semester that we're not doing the classical roots study.

We've used soaring with spelling for my younger child - it's very straightforward. My older child has used Vocabulary with Classical Roots and we've just chosen 10 words each week to use as spelling. One of these books takes us a semster, so we focus on other things in the spring semester. We also use Spelling Works! which is a workbook of general rules. It doesn't include vocabulary, although it does focus on breaking down words into parts - that's part of teaching when to double a consonant, for example.. I tend to run through it every other year as a refresher during the semester that we're not doing the classical roots study.

How old is your older child?  At this point, Vocabulary with Classical Roots seems closest to what I'm looking for. 

How old is your older child? At this point, Vocabulary with Classical Roots seems closest to what I'm looking for.

My older child is in 5th. He's pretty advanced, but we've been using it for 2 or 3 years already. My younger child is less interested in academics, and I'll probably start it in the second semester of 4th or else in 5th grade. My older student doesn't like to write, so this book, with it's fill in the blank and multiple choice analogies, is popular and the words are good - most are words that you actually hear or read.

Be forewarned - as best I can tell, the books are in a weird order - there's 4, 5, and 6, and then A, B, and C (judging by the picture on the back of the book).