Menu

Math for next year, struggling a lot with this

This is with both kids.

The older one has done Foerster's Algebra 2 with Trig. But he did not do well on his test after chapter 12 so we have stopped and are spending the remainder of the year reviewing chapters 1-12. Originally, I had planned for us to do DO precal next, but decided I probably should not spend the money now. Then I decided to just do Foerster's precal. But now based on everyone else's posts, I am rethinking that too. 

Now I wonder if I should just finish the year focusing on chapters 1-12 for algebra 2. And then start next year with the trig from Foerster's algebra 2 book to begin next year, and then move on to precal, not neccesarily from Foerster? I also noticed that Ask Dr Callahan has a college algebra with trig class, wonder if I should consider that? I do not even like the DE options as I have found that a lot of the colleges actually use Thinkwell videos so I find myself wondering what the point of doing DE for college algebra when I can just do that at home. 

Basically, I am kind of wondering if I should just go a completely different direction now. I want his math sequence to be good and thorough. He has plenty of time to complete whatever we do in high school. He is currently planning on something like accounting for a major, but he is only end of 9th grade so this could change. 

I just feel really down about how this past year went. We get to March and try to do the cumulative chapter 12 test and he cannot do it. Now we have backed up to the very beginning of the book and are reviewing. He tells me that he cannot possibly be expected to remember anything from the beginning of the year. Now I find myself feeling like maybe we need to switch paths and not continue with Foersters if he was able to get all the problems correct on all the homework and then have no clue how to do the math at the end. 

Suggestions?

I'm not sure but I might be with your son on this one - there is no way that I'd expect a teen to know everything they did at the end of algebra 2 "cold." However, it should come back with brief review and an example problem or two. A number of key concepts will be revisited and reinforced in pre-cal.

Are you sure that you're applying the right learning standards here? It is entirely possible that you moved through some earlier levels too quickly and need to slow down here, but it's also true as you get into higher level topics, you don't necessarily retain everything at the same rote level that, say, you learned the multiplication tables at.

And, if you are applying the right level of performance standards, are you sure doing the same curriculum will bring different results the second time around? It might be the case that the curriculum was not the best fit in the first place.

• Like 1

I'm not sure but I might be with your son on this one - there is no way that I'd expect a teen to know everything they did at the end of algebra 2 "cold." However, it should come back with brief review and an example problem or two. A number of key concepts will be revisited and reinforced in pre-cal.

Are you sure that you're applying the right learning standards here? It is entirely possible that you moved through some earlier levels too quickly and need to slow down here, but it's also true as you get into higher level topics, you don't necessarily retain everything at the same rote level that, say, you learned the multiplication tables at.

And, if you are applying the right level of performance standards, are you sure doing the same curriculum will bring different results the second time around? It might be the case that the curriculum was not the best fit in the first place.

I would never use the same curriculum twice. If we repeated algebra 2, we would do it from different program. The intent to use Foersters next year was referring to Foersters Precalculus, not repeating the same Foersters Algebra 2 book. And also, we did chapter 1-12 this year. So next year, if we continued with this book, it would be just to complete the trig sections which is chapters 13-15. But then go on to precal after that. But repeating the entire Foersters algebra 2 book wasn't one of the options.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 2

This is with both kids.

The older one has done Foerster's Algebra 2 with Trig. But he did not do well on his test after chapter 12 so we have stopped and are spending the remainder of the year reviewing chapters 1-12. Originally, I had planned for us to do DO precal next, but decided I probably should not spend the money now. Then I decided to just do Foerster's precal. But now based on everyone else's posts, I am rethinking that too. 

Suggestions?

Is it Chapter 12 Probability, Data Analysis ... that he had so much trouble with or a cumulative test after?

I don't think difficulty with Probability means the course was a disaster so far.

Probability can be a topic on it's own.  You could do a little mini-course about Probability and possibly get a tutor after Algebra 2.

How did he do in the other chapters?

He does need to learn mastery and maybe some spiraling is needed with this student.  I would add a two week review at the course end and then have him take an old NYS Algebra 2 Regents exam (free download with answers).  You could print it and cross out the problems that don't apply.  These are great open resource.  

I concur with the others about going with Derek Owens for Algebra 2. That is if by the end of the year they cannot demonstrate mastery 'after' adequate review of all of the material. That includes plenty of practice review problems and practice tests prior to the real thing. Both Derek Owens and Wilson Hill prepare students for their big tests in this way using review. As Mark alluded to, that could be part of the problem. In addition, many math courses will 'not' give a cumulative final. Rather they will have a midterm which covers the first semester. Then the final will cover the second semester. Of course math principles build upon themselves. So implicit coverage will still occur even when the focus is on the later chapters. Typically the last chapter will be covered more than prior chapters in a weighted fashion.

Edited by dereksurfs