Menu

Best fish oil for lowering triglycerides?

Halcyon

for the first time EVER, turns out i have elevated triglycerides. I blame it all on trump LOL--too much sugar, carbs and wine ;)

Anyway, other that changing my diet i am going to start taking a fish oil. There are so many on the market with so many health claims, and I'ld like to hear from the Hive about brands that have worked for them to lower triglycerides particularly. 

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

I use Barlean's:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQ6568/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I know there are ones that are considered better/more pure, but they are often quite expensive and we take a lot of fish oil in our family!  From the limited research I have done, I believe this one seems like a good compromise (less expensive but still pretty good) and my cholesterol numbers have definitely improved.  I also began walking a lot more at the same time, so I think those two things together are what make the difference for me.  

Other than that, I'm generally a healthy eater, and my cholesterol numbers were always very good until I hit menopause.  Then, even though nothing else changed (diet, exercise, etc.), my cholesterol numbers changed, and pretty quickly!

• Like 1

FWIW, I use Barlean's flax seed oil as a substitute for half the olive oil in all my cold salad dressings, etc. It's delicious, and I've never had a negative reaction from anyone, ever, and I do this all the time. It's a great way to get a lot of flax seed oil into the whole family. We don't notice any flavor differences in salads, etc. when I use it. I am sure I could substitute it for 100% of the olive oil, but for some reason, I've never tried it. 

Also, Sam's and Costco sell good quality wild caught fish, frozen, in single serving size packets, at reasonable prices. After discovering this, we've managed to eat a *lot* more fish around our house, since we no longer have to plan to shop for it the same day we fix it. It's always in the freezer! Wild caught salmon is a *great* source for good fats. We also buy wild-caught tuna, mahimahi, and various other fishes, too. 

• Like 1