Menu

History Odyssey question

Beaniemom

We have been using History Odyssey for Ancients this year. I've had all 3 kids together doing level 1. It's been great but my oldest has gotten into a habit of just get it done with minimal effort for a lot of her school work. She is also quite intelligent and I want to challenge her. She will be 5th grade next year. Her closest in age sibling, ds, will b 4th grade but has learning differences that make him closer in level to my rising 2nd grader. I want to use History Odyssey again for Middle ages but feel like I need to use level 2 with eldest and stick with 1 with younger 2. has anyone done this? Any pros or cons? I saw the lesson topics don't quite line up so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm using history odyssey level 2 this year with my 4th and 6th graders. I get simpler books from the library for my 4th grader and don't have her do the longer or harder assignments. I gave both the kingfisher and us borne encyclopedias and I'll write up some simple fill in the blanks, or dictation stuff from the US borne for her to do while my older does the ones in the program for the kingfisher.

Level 2 is written to the student so this allows them to be much more independent. Maybe the independence, and you requiring a high level of work, will be good for her.

Yes to this. My older three kids are three and four grades apart, so I don't combine them for history. This year the oldest two (ninth and sixth) are using History Odyssey Medieval Levels 3 and 2, and I'm doing SOTW 2 with the third (second). The older two work independently. HO steps up a little in difficulty with each program, so I expect that handing Medieval Level 2 to your oldest will work well to give her a little more challenge while you work through Medieval Level 1 with the younger two. You can include all of them in any particularly cool projects or supplemental books. My sixth grader doesn't listen to the picture books I read to the little guys (neither does my ninth grader), but he enjoyed listening to and then watching the movies for David Macaulay's Castle and Cathedral.

Edited by happypamama