Menu

Grades Last Semester Senior Year

goldberry

DD has already been accepted and confirmed where she wants to go.  She is getting a scholarship based on a 3.8 gpa, which she will still have.  But her grades this semester are not as good as they have been.  She is full time DE at the community college and has been very stressed about graduating, college, money, all kinds of things.  She has previous college with mostly As and one B.

This semester is looking like three Bs or maybe even two Bs and a C.  Her GPA was 3.97 and will still be above the 3.8 even with a C.  But can anything bad happen because of this?  Do colleges ever re-look at things more than just the GPA remaining where it should?

She is horribly stressed and is now almost hysterical that her one C is going to keep her from going to college. I'm thinking that as long as the GPA still qualifies for her scholarship she should be okay.  I would like to reassure her.

She should be just fine. Colleges reserve the right to rescind offers, but that happens when students absolutely tank the last semester, don't take the classes they said they would, get caught cheating, get arrested, stuff like that. 

It's possible they will ask her about it, but they probably won't even do that for one C. 

• Like 3

And they will need the final transcripts, presumably from both the home school and the DE institution.  I remember there being a line in the letter we received about withholding a scholarship or student loan if they didn't have the final grades/transcripts to show completion of senior year (graduation).

(I can't remember the exact wording but it was basically "send us the transcript or the funding won't be granted".)

I went to a public high school with a very high percentage of students who went to Ivy League and public Ivy schools. And more of us were on full-ride scholarships at other schools. I never heard of anyone who was turned away for lower grades in the last semester, and we had quite a few summer events after graduation among those of us who had done the AP track at that school.

If you're nervous, call the school she's transferring to.

We had an extremely tough family situation earlier this month, and both of my kids (one 12th grade and one in college) are worried about their grades this semester. If need be, I'll write a letter of explanation.

• Like 1