Menu

Windows computer question

Night Elf

In typing an email to my DH, I hit some kind of combination of keys and turned off some kind of monitoring. I tried to read it to see what it was but it disappeared too fast for me to figure it out and now I can't even remember what the large print said. I have a very bad memory. I checked my McAfee and it doesn't look like anything is wrong but I don't know how to check of ongoing monitoring of my system. If it isn't McAfee, what else could it be on my computer that I might have turned off? My hands are cold and I keep making typing errors. I have NO idea what keys I hit.

• Like 1

If you do not save the file, before you Restart M$ Windows, you will probably lose that file, but that is probably the best way for you to try to resolve this issue.  The worst case is that you will need to begin writing the email again, from scratch. We have learned, via various experiences, that if one is typing something long, for an online post or email or whatever, it is better to do it locally and then copy/paste into an online form.  Were you using a Web based email, such as Gmail or Hotmail or something else, or working locally, with Mozilla Thunderbird or another MUA (Mail User Agent)?   If it was web based, you probably lost it forever, because there was no local file saved. However, if you are VERY LUCKY, after you Restart WIndows, you will find what you'd written was saved as a Draft.  GL

The email went through. It was just a short note, so it would have been no big deal if it had been lost. The error message didn't seem to affect my internet connection.

I tried restarting the computer and it got hung up for 15 minutes so I forced a shut down. Then I restarted it and it got to my desktop and put all my icons in the middle of the window. After several seconds, it popped up an error saying the computer was having problems and to look up "invalid process attach attempt". I used my Kindle to do that and found a website that said that was the error message for the blue screen of death, only my computer did not blue screen. It restarted itself and all my icons are still in the middle of the window but I'm able to be online.

Can I assume everything is okay? Should I just manually move my icons back to the left side of the window and not think about it again? I don't know if there is a problem with my computer and don't know what to look at to see if there is a problem.

• Like 1

Alarming that it took 15 minutes to Restart Windows.  I think I may have seen that a couple of times. Just in case, as always, you should COMPLETELY BACKUP your Data. Immediately.  Your Data is what is important on your PC.  It could be that the Windows Registry has become corrupted.  We use a Suite of Utilities by IOBit (Advanced SystemCare Ultimate).  Every morning, I run a Full Virus Scan (almost 800K files on this SSD now) and then I run their Suite of Utilities. One of those Utilities looks for Errors in the Windows Registry and another looks for Fragments in the Windows Registry.

The first things you should check out, when a machine is acting up, is to run Diagnostics on the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) or SSD (Solid State Drive) AND on the RAM (Memory).  Memory problems are so common that every CD/DVD I have installed Linux from includes memtest86 on it, to test for RAM  problems.  I think possibly even Microsoft includes it on Windows installation DVDs now.

If I were in your shoes, after backing up my data, I would run Diagnostics on the Drive and on the RAM.  

This is the URL where you can Download the Free version of memtest86 and burn it to a CD.  Then, you boot from the CD.   http://www.memtest86.com/

For your HDD or SSD, it is best to Download the Diagnostics from the web site of the manufacturer of the drive and then burn that to a CD  and boot from that CD.

You can Download various versions of Advanced SystemCare and try them, I think for 30 days, without paying. We started out with the Free version and eventually began buying it. We have 2 licenses for Advanced SystemCare Ultimate now. Each license is good for 3 PCs. I think we pay $15 a year, for each license, when we Renew the licenses. Try to find a discount code, if you decide to buy it.

Backup, backup, backup...

ETA: DO NOT  RUN the Disk utilities in the package of Utilities on Advanced SystemCare Ultimate (or any other Disk utilities) on an SSD.  There is nothing to Defragment on an SSD.  The only utilities you should run on an SSD are those you Download from the web site of the SSD manufacturer.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1