Menu

Something other than WWE?

KBadd

I'm contemplating what writing curriculum is best for my 2nd grader, and I'd love your advice.

We are about halfway through WWE2, and my son is handling the copywork, dictation, and narration fine, but he complains about writing every day. His writing is quite neat, his hand doesn't hurt, but if anything his writing seems to be getting a little messier as he takes less satisfaction in it. He whines whenever I say it's time for writing.

He is my more emotional child, and I understand this is a character flaw in him, so I don't necessarily blame the curriculum. I know there are things we just have to press through with our kids, because they need to be done and our children need to learn to be responsible and work diligently. But I'm wondering if another curriculum might be better suited to him.

He whined through a lot of OPGTTR, but he got through it and is now a very good reader. But for that curriculum, it was helpful for us both for me to bring something "fun" to phonics, like writing the words out on a whiteboard or using Bananagram tiles. I'm not sure what I can do with WWE to make it more interesting for him, or if I even should do so. Or if something else would be a better fit for him.

A little more about my son: he is good at math, loves to read and learn about things, and always loves stories. He also enjoys history, drawing, and science. He can narrate back to me very well - he likes to go fast and animatedly, and tell the story with pretty good vocabulary. (I'm not sure the structure of WWE in leading them to summarize the main point of the passage is serving him well - it's just more questions. This is my own uncertainty with him - I feel like he might be better off if I just said, "What do you think was the main point?" and kind of lead him there.) I'm going to change his routine and put writing in the morning when his mind is fresh and it will be out of our way. He complains about the actual writing, which I know is not heavy, but I thought that if he were more engaged with the curriculum maybe it wouldn't seem like such a burden. He doesn't complain about writing for FLL or when we write a letter to someone.

What do you think? Is this something where I just trust the curriculum and stick with it? Or is there something that might be better suited to him? If I should switch, when should I do so?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Following because I'm in a similar boat. My DD6 does fine with ww1 but she doesn't really enjoy it and I've come to dread it because I know she's going to drag her feet and whine and try to get out of it etc...

At least we're not the only ones 😉

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is a different issue, but I've also been noticing differences between Charlotte Mason and Julie Bogart's style of narration and SWB's, and I'm wondering what you all think. Should narration be regurgitated memorized facts and end up looking the same for every student, or should they reflect the personality of the narrator and be unique for each student?

I wouldn't say "character flaw."  Being more emotional isn't a bad thing, it's just different.

Anyway.

A lot of people run WWE a year "behind."  It may be that even though he's able, he'll do much better with it 6 months or a year from now.  Maybe move to doing copywork and narration for a while, but NOT using WWE, so that it's a "break" for him?

• Like 2

I wouldn't say "character flaw." Being more emotional isn't a bad thing, it's just different.

Anyway.

A lot of people run WWE a year "behind." It may be that even though he's able, he'll do much better with it 6 months or a year from now. Maybe move to doing copywork and narration for a while, but NOT using WWE, so that it's a "break" for him?

I didn't mean to say being emotional is a character flaw. I meant being lazy or being unwilling to do a reasonable amount of work without drama is a character flaw. Just to clarify. I worded it that way on my original post to make it clear that I'm not just looking to lighten his load and make all things enjoyable for him, because I just won't be able to do that for any of my kids - that's not how life works. And I want him to grow up to be a responsible adult.

Thanks for the advice about giving him a break from WWE, that might be a good plan.

Have you thought of just using the TM and making up your own lessons from literature and everyday events that have more meaning to your child?

I agree with the poster that said the scope and sequence might be too rigorous for some children. I personally prefer the narration lengths being about a year ahead of the grammar topics.

I only own the TM in hardcopy and like it a lot. I have some of the eBook workbooks but have no plans to use them. The TM is more my style.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

Have you listened to SWB's lectures about the writing process and teaching writing? It explains the reasoning behind WWE and why it's important to lay well the foundation through narration, dictation, and copywork. It's available here and very much worth the $4 download price.

Second grade is still so very young. Time is a wonderful gift in homeschooling.

Same boat here, too! I am looking at Writing Tales and IEW. I really want IEW but the price is out or our budget, unfortunately. WT looks like something mine would enjoy, though!

Edited to add, mine doesn't necessarily whine when it's writing time, but he is getting increasingly lazier with his writing and responses, and half the time zones out while I'm reading the initial story chunk! 

Edited by lindsey

sWB says that wwe is for kids who need the pecked by ducks approach and they not every kid does. Those who don't are fine using a traditional program. We liked the lower levels of WriteShop because it was short and fun.

I'm on my phone or else I would link to SWB's little video about this but it is on the welltrained mind press website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you listened to SWB's lectures about the writing process and teaching writing? It explains the reasoning behind WWE and why it's important to lay well the foundation through narration, dictation, and copywork. It's available here and very much worth the $4 download price.

Second grade is still so very young. Time is a wonderful gift in homeschooling.

This!

OP, absolutely listen to the lectures if you haven't. It's not an infomercial about WWE at all and will give you essential knowledge no matter what curriculum you choose.

Edited by carriede

We never used WWE, but instead took the ideas behind it from WTM and used it across the curriculum. We didn't have a writing time.  We had a history time. And we did narrations from SOTW after we read it. We did copywork from books we were reading during reading time. Sometimes they picked. My dd12 picks all of her own copywork currently. I encourage her and help, like if we are working on quotations in grammar I tell her to pick a conversation from her current book.  We wrote the pen pal letters. I gave dictation on the spelling test. For one that was good at on the spot dictation I just picked up our current science book or SOTW and gave a sentence that wrapped up the lesson well.  For another we did studied dictation. I would use the same sentence for dictation that we had worked on for copywork.