Menu

Church History resources

amyc78

I adore the book Church History in Plain Language, by Bruce Shelley. This was the text for my high school Church History course. It is used in high school and college courses. So not suitable for little guys, but it's a resource you might appreciate as a springboard for teaching your kids or to consider for their future.

• Like 3

I have seen for sale, but not read this series. You can see sample pages of the 1st book in this 5 book set here

Also, Diana Waring's materials might work for you. There are audios available, and many suggestions in the teacher's books. You can download samples and listen to audio excerpts here.

Though not a formal study, it might be fun for your kiddos to watch Drive Thru History. The Gospels are the latest installment. I set the dvr to record The Gospels, but the episodes aren't numbered, so we watch them out of order. Not everyone likes Dave Stotts though. 

ITA the Shelley book is good, but, as Harriet Vane said, it's suited for older students.

ETA:

Not everyone likes Dave Stotts though. 

Ditto for Diana Warning. 

Meant to say, one or all of these could be supplements to whatever spine or program you use. (Books to read, aloud or assign for reading, audios in the car, videos on sick or snow days, etc.)

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

One of my favorite books is Martyr of the Catacombs as well as The Life and Legacy of St. Patrick. Two different time periods but both favorite books.

Here's the link for the St Patrick book.  http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/the-life-and-legacy-of-saint-patrick-pdf/

Veritas Press does a great job weaving church history in with secular history, but it's not an exclusively church history course. I would take a look at the VP catalog because it will have some great books to go along with early church history. 

Have you seen Trial and Triumph?

https://www.christianbook.com/trial-triumph-stories-from-church-history/richard-hannula/9781885767547/pd/67544

I also like the History Lives series already linked above

https://www.christianbook.com/history-lives-box-mindy-withrow/9781845508142/pd/508142?event=ESRCN|M

Operation World is geography more than history

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKKJ96K/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

You can get these public domain books free elsewhere, but use the Yesterdays Classics page on books of faith for ideas.

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catalog/displaycatalog.php?catalog=faith

Teaching with Gods Heart for the World

A complete one year curriculum centered on world missions

http://harvestministry.org/twghw

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

I have seen for sale, but not read this series. You can see sample pages of the 1st book in this 5 book set here

Also, Diana Waring's materials might work for you. There are audios available, and many suggestions in the teacher's books. You can download samples and listen to audio excerpts here.

Though not a formal study, it might be fun for your kiddos to watch Drive Thru History. The Gospels are the latest installment. I set the dvr to record The Gospels, but the episodes aren't numbered, so we watch them out of order. Not everyone likes Dave Stotts though. 

ITA the Shelley book is good, but, as Harriet Vane said, it's suited for older students.

ETA:

Ditto for Diana Warning. 

Meant to say, one or all of these could be supplements to whatever spine or program you use. (Books to read, aloud or assign for reading, audios in the car, videos on sick or snow days, etc.)

I wanted to try Drive Thru History but the disclaimer at the beginning worried me. How violent are the reenactments? I've got a couple sensitive kiddos...

If your children are sensitive, I would postpone doing church history. It is very violent in many areas. Have you considered reading some biographies about famous Christians instead? There are many good children's versions that you could work through. That would give them a good base for church history later. 

R&S also publishes a very good Bible workbook set for 5th- 8th graders. It will give them a strong, thorough study of the Bible. You could do both R&S and biographies together and then cover Church history later using Sonlight 200 history. 

Hope you find something that works.

• Like 1

I wanted to try Drive Thru History but the disclaimer at the beginning worried me. How violent are the reenactments? I've got a couple sensitive kiddos...

Hmmm, it's been a long time since we watched these, other than the Gospel episodes we're watching now. And my kiddo is in high school. I seem to remember a photo or sketch of figures and descriptions of violence more than violent re-enactments, but if there is a disclaimer, then there's a reason for it. 

I'm sorry I don't remember. I hope someone else will chime in. 

ETA: Look here.

(full episode) Edited by Angie in VA

If your children are sensitive, I would postpone doing church history. It is very violent in many areas. Have you considered reading some biographies about famous Christians instead? There are many good children's versions that you could work through. That would give them a good base for church history later.

R&S also publishes a very good Bible workbook set for 5th- 8th graders. It will give them a strong, thorough study of the Bible. You could do both R&S and biographies together and then cover Church history later using Sonlight 200 history.

Hope you find something that works.

Yes that is my concern. My kids have been asking about he disciples who were martyred and did St augustine know Jesus personally etc etc and so I've wanted to cover this area of history but not in a way that is super graphic. I like the way SOTW touches on the Crusades and Inquisition without going into too much detail, I was hoping to find something similar. I may try the VP self paced for the Gospels, I imagine this will not be graphic?