Menu

Articulation

My youngest got her speech evaluation results through the school and she had a moderate articulation delay in words and a mild delay in sentences (she missed moderate by 1 point) but she does not qualify because it does not affect her education which I am not sure I agree with based on her spelling and reading progres. She really cannot spell anything with blends or long vowels and she has even left out vowels or put the wrong vowel sound but she looks like some of the other kindergarteners in class reading her cvc readers with doing phonics pathways alongside it all year and hearbuilder in the summer.

Anyway we cannot afford private speech but is there anything I can do to help her articulation. I will probably end up homeschooling her next year and will probably use Barton. Will that help at all? She passes part C now.

Even if she now passes part C of Barton, Barton may be challenging without some targeted help.  This could be tied in with an auditory processing glitch (APD/CAPD).  You might look into using LiPS or Foundations in Sound (linked below).  It won't replace speech therapy but it might help if APD is at least part of the problem.

http://www.foundationinsounds.com/

In the pre-test and in her suggestion on how to use LIPS, Barton assumes that when the basic skills are in place that the dc will infer or generalize the skill to more complex settings. My ds needed the continued supports of LIPS methodology ALL THE WAY. We went through everything (3+ syllables, blends, etc.) using LIPS. To me, that's what you're describing.

Also, I'm concerned about what is realistic. It's normal not to have phonemic awareness for sounds they can't yet articulate, and in fact our SLP said *not* to push on sounds he could not articulate. To me, if she has all her sounds but a few, I would do LIPS for all the sounds she has and skip the ones she doesn't. It's not the end of the world. Then, if she can't articulate the blends, I'm still cool with doing the LIPS using them and encoding/decoding with them, so long as she can articulate the individual sounds.

LIPS may turn out to be a stronger tool than FIS. I haven't seen FIS, only the online samples. LIPS was developed by SLPs and it shows. My ds has verbal apraxia and dyslexia and ASD. I needed the power of precisely what LIPS is. I married it to our speech therapy methodology, and it was magical. Fwiw, I also have gone to all his speech therapy for years and admittedly have a background in linguistics that makes me conversant on speech production and pretty comfortable with it. But to me, LIPS kicks butt. When you need it, you need it.