Menu

Derek Owens or TT

I know, I know -- DO is superior in many ways. I agree that it's more rigorous, but I'm struggling to find a right fit for THIS child. She very much enjoys sciences, but does have learning differences and has hit brick walls in certain subjects (mainly, those now -- at the high school level). She is easily frustrated that she has to put in what seems like three-times the amount of effort to master certain things that seem to come easily to others.

With that said, I actually wonder if the blackboard platform of DO might--maybe--even a better fit for her than TT. It seems like it would appeal to her (very, very, very) visual nature. 

Caveat: She's going to not be happy regardless, because she hates online learning, but I'm maxed out after Algebra 1, and DH (lovely man that he is) just doesn't understand any type of struggle in maths, and he admits that he probably wouldn't be able to teach anyone (without tears from everyone) below a college level.

I would do DO. The reason is, DO seems to fit a lot of learning styles. But TT can be irritating to some. So if money is no object, DO is the safer option. Plus, I think if you start DO and find it is not working for you, he might allow you to withdraw.

• Like 1

Have you done TT before and if so does she like it/do well with it? If so, I'd continue with it.

If she hasn't tried it, do you know someone who has it so she could preview it? DO has sample lessons on his website. I would get her opinion. The buy-in can be invaluable. 

Whichever one she does, I encourage you to watch the videos with her so you know how to do it the way that program expects her to do it and so can give her guidance when needed.  Video programs only work when students understand, and your dc already doesn't like online instruction. 

Our middle dd who struggles with math and has other interests is currently taking math with DO. Granted she is in only middle school and Pre-A. This has also been her first year in an online class which she was not looking forward too at all. Now that she is ~ 70% completed I can honestly say to it has been the best math year for her yet. While still having some struggles, she fights doing math much less and there is a lot less frustration. DO is a very gifted instructor. After lots of hard work she has a strong A in the course and much greater self-confidence as a result. So this has been a major win for our family and very much worth it to she her turn this corner. She's gone from hating math and feeling like she is dumb to thinking its ok and not terrible anymore. :D  

However, I will also say that for Algebra 1 we are exploring other options because we want a live component as well. Our oldest ds is going through WHA and loves the format with its interactive nature. We are currently leaning toward Jann in Texas or Mr. D Math who are both known to work very well with struggling students. I think WHA may be too much for her at this stage. I have no experience with TT. But the closer we get to human instruction and a real classroom setting, even if virtual, the better it has worked for our kiddos. 

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2