Menu

Can someone tell me more about Core Knowledge?

mo2

I guess I don't really get it. I keep hearing that you have to pull together your own resources, so what do you get with the $70 teacher manual? Is it just a glorified scope and sequence, or does it actually tell you how to teach things? If you purchase the teacher manual, what other things do you have to purchase (from Core Knowledge or from other sources)? I see that you still have to purchase a math program, but what else?

Thanks. I've always been interested, but it seems like a lot of money, and I'm not really sure what exactly your money gets you.

core knowledge sequence. we use it as a guide to fill in any gaps. you can find suggested resources in the what your x-grader ought to know series. the teachers handbooks are nifty although i don't think they are necessary.

Hi, mo2 (are you the mo2 from HSR?) -

I posted a bit about the TM on the cultural literacy thread you started:

http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=63454&page=2

You could teach CK by using the NTK books as a spine. Additional books could probably come from the library -- most of the books they recommend are fairly well known; also, you can substitute books if you wish. Spend another $10 or so and get Books to Build On; even if you don't use CK, this is a fantastic resource.

The TM is much more that a glorified scope & sequence -- it has LOTS of background info, but it does not tell you HOW to teach (although there are some teaching ideas included). My suggestion would be that you look at the samples on the site and email the hs contact person -- she sent me additional samples. Also, you don't have to do the entire CK program -- we do literature, history/geography, and science, but not math, art or music. In any case, CK was designed as enrichment for a basic school program of reading, math, etc And, in science, they recommend that you use some investigation based curricula or activities, not just work from the reading list. I think the CK TM is so well put together that it is actually a bargain.

Some other resources include little poetry books (about $5). After retyping poems from the NTK books (so dc could highlight rhyming words, etc.), I got these and love them. Pearson also publishes CK history spines and readers. I got some and found them a bit dull and not worth the money (JMHO). But then I *like* putting together my own program. CK is not open and go, by any means.

Hi, mo2 (are you the mo2 from HSR?) -

I posted a bit about the TM on the cultural literacy thread you started:

http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=63454&page=2

You could teach CK by using the NTK books as a spine. Additional books could probably come from the library -- most of the books they recommend are fairly well known; also, you can substitute books if you wish. Spend another $10 or so and get Books to Build On; even if you don't use CK, this is a fantastic resource.

The TM is much more that a glorified scope & sequence -- it has LOTS of background info, but it does not tell you HOW to teach (although there are some teaching ideas included). My suggestion would be that you look at the samples on the site and email the hs contact person -- she sent me additional samples. Also, you don't have to do the entire CK program -- we do literature, history/geography, and science, but not math, art or music. In any case, CK was designed as enrichment for a basic school program of reading, math, etc And, in science, they recommend that you use some investigation based curricula or activities, not just work from the reading list. I think the CK TM is so well put together that it is actually a bargain.

Some other resources include little poetry books (about $5). After retyping poems from the NTK books (so dc could highlight rhyming words, etc.), I got these and love them. Pearson also publishes CK history spines and readers. I got some and found them a bit dull and not worth the money (JMHO). But then I *like* putting together my own program. CK is not open and go, by any means.

Thanks Alessandra. I read your posts on my cultural literacy thread, which was what made me think maybe I should give CK a second look. (Or third or fourth. I don't know how many times I've looked at it, but I just have a hard time spending money.)

I am indeed the mo2 from HSR, although I don't get over there much these days. I had to seriously cut down on my internet time ;), so this is pretty much the only board I visit regularly now.

So, for example, as far as literature, does CK give you a list of what books/poetry/etc to teach that year, and then you are responsible for finding that book and other resources to teach it? Do they recommend any specific science program to use? And for history...I spent some time at the CK site and looked at the Pearson history/geography books, but they seem a little pricey for me. They're about $10 each for the student books, but they use 8 to 10 a year, so that's $80, plus the teacher books. If you choose not to use the Pearson books, do they give you a list of topics to teach that year for history and then you find your own resources to teach that topic? Do they suggest how long to spend on each topic? I can see myself getting involved in, say, Ancient Egypt, and spending way to long on it. And since it's a public school curriculum, I'm assuming it's all politically correct and multicultural, right? (We're secular.)

Wow, sorry that got so long. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

I actually like these lesson plans better than the CK teacher's guides.

http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/draft_lessons.html

I have the Pearson history books (the all in one book, not the separate books.) I like them and am using the 3rd grade book with my 3rd grader, but I do NOT think they are worth the price listed at Pearson. I purchased mine used and wouldn't pay more. I originally purchased the Pearson 7th and 8th grade history, both student and teacher (used again) and did not like them at all. I though they were written well below the level that should be expected of a middle school student.

This is my favorite core knowledge school. I use their lesson plans and information off their website from time to time.

http://www.ridgeviewclassical.com/index.html

We're secular, too -- and multicultural.

The most extensive book list is in Books to Build On, but there are also bibliographies in the back of the TM.

For literature, there are specific books. For example, in 2nd grade: American tall tales (correlates with westward expansion in history); Greek mythology (correlates with ancient history - Greece); stories/folk tales from india, China, Japan (again correlates with history/geography); many other stories are just classics -- Beauty and the Beast, Christmas Carol, excerpts from Peter Pan. You could use NTK or choose your own books, but I have found that the recommended editions have the best text, best pix, so I generally use them.

For, history, there are books suggestions, but I would say there is more flexibility here -- you could lean toward activities, or pix books, or historical fiction, or books like the "You Wouldn't Want to" series, or use lots of easy readers. That would be your choice. We added a lot of videos. But CK does tell you the main points to emphasize for each unit. For example, Egypt: Nile; pharoahs (just Tut and Hatshepsut); religion; writing. Compared to SOTW, CK has far fewer facts, dates, people to learn; there is more emphasis on seminal ideas and also on vocabulary building. IMHO, CK is more age appropriate.

It is hard (for me) to keep things simple. I buy lots of books, and I have to fight with myself not to feel guilty about leaving some in their magazine storage boxes (2 boxes for Egypt). I find the CK length is about right -- when I go over, dc get a little bored. But th discipline (mine) is coming.

As for how much time, you could get the CK plan book -- or, just as effectively, you could look at lesson plans. They usually say at the top how much time to spend on units. The TM has it all broken down by percentages.

melissa b gave you 2 nice links. Here is another:

http://www.ckcolorado.org/units.asp