Menu

Distance Learning High School Options

Hello All,

I'm looking into high school options for my daughter, who will start 10th grade in the fall. I want a rigorous program that is also self-paced, since she doesn't do well with strict deadlines and a heavy workload. I know that seems like an oxymoron, but we have sort of a hectic schedule so while she wants a solid education and a diploma/transcript from an accredited school, we aren't into the online public schools here in MA with their excessive number of daily assignments and "overdue lessons" lists. I also do NOT want the whole program online. Real textbooks are a MUST. oh, and not too pricey. Too much to ask? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

American School in Lansing IL.  You can choose the book-based option.  It's regionally accredited, and very affordable.  It is also self-paced.   Quite a few WTM families have used it.  If you search, you can find posts and threads on it here in the WTM forum. 

http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

Edited by laundrycrisis

We have used American School and are currently using Keystone. There are pros and cons to both of them. We are currently trying to decide if we are going to stick with Keystone or switch to Laurel Springs. American School is the cheapest. Keystone is a bit more expensive. I believe that Laurel Springs is significantly more expensive than Keystone.

We have used American School and are currently using Keystone. There are pros and cons to both of them. We are currently trying to decide if we are going to stick with Keystone or switch to Laurel Springs. American School is the cheapest. Keystone is a bit more expensive. I believe that Laurel Springs is significantly more expensive than Keystone.

Laurel Springs will average you 7-9,000 per year

We use Laurel Springs for our kids and have found it to be rigorous with a fairly heavy workload. My kids work 6+ hours per day, five days per week, in order to keep up. It is self-paced and many classes are available in text or online formats.

I can't answer your question about the writing.  But one thing I learned from talking with an adviser at American School is that they will accept courses from other programs as transfer credits, as long as the other program is regionally accredited.  She also told me that if they take a college level class at community college, that can also be accepted as a transfer credit.  So if American doesn't have a writing course that satisfies you, you could still use their 4 yr program and transfer in a class from another school.  The 4 yr program is so affordable that even with paying for some extra outside classes, it's still more affordable than most other distance schools.   Also, their college prep program can be improved on - you can do more advanced math than they require, and do all three lab sciences.