Menu

Best online AOPS Pre-Algebra class?

My son will be finishing Beast Academy soon (once 5D comes out) and he just took the readiness test for AOPS and got a near perfect score, so he will be ready to start that next. I was thinking it would be best for him to take a class with it though. I do not feel comfortable continuing on teaching at this level, especially knowing how challenging AOPS is (Beast Academy was hard enough -- I'm just thankful I had all the answers in front of me, ha!)

So I was wondering what online class is a favorite to go along with AOPS Pre-Algebra?

My son is taking the AOPS Algebra class right now. I thought it would give me a break from teaching math but that has not been the case for us. The schedule is tight and my son isn't the type of kid to pick up the book and learn it on his own. Maybe it's age (he's 12) or maybe it's personality. I still have to go over most sections with him and check his work. The online stuff he does on his own mostly.

The AOPS class was not the time saver I expected. Math actually takes more time now because of the pace and the extra problems. That being said, he loves the class and we'll do it again.

The AOPS solution book is the best. It clearly states how to solve each problem instead of just giving the answer.

My son is taking the AOPS Algebra class right now. I thought it would give me a break from teaching math but that has not been the case for us. The schedule is tight and my son isn't the type of kid to pick up the book and learn it on his own. Maybe it's age (he's 12) or maybe it's personality. I still have to go over most sections with him and check his work. The online stuff he does on his own mostly.

The AOPS class was not the time saver I expected. Math actually takes more time now because of the pace and the extra problems. That being said, he loves the class and we'll do it again.

The AOPS solution book is the best. It clearly states how to solve each problem instead of just giving the answer.

Good to know! Which online class are you doing?

Are you intending to continue with the AoPS series?  If so, frankly I wouldn't bother with the WTM classes, as they don't go through the whole series.  The AoPS pace is fast, but my thinking is that it's better to get the adjustment over sooner rather than later.  If you are very concerned about the pace of your student's first AoPS class, have you considered AoPS' Stretch Algebra class (goes at a bit slower pace)? 

For us, my DD found the first class to be a bit of a surprise, but she has adjusted.  For us, the issue has been time.  I block out 2 hours a day for math; she doesn't always need it, but I need to make sure it's available.

Are you intending to continue with the AoPS series? If so, frankly I wouldn't bother with the WTM classes, as they don't go through the whole series. The AoPS pace is fast, but my thinking is that it's better to get the adjustment over sooner rather than later. If you are very concerned about the pace of your student's first AoPS class, have you considered AoPS' Stretch Algebra class (goes at a bit slower pace)?

For us, my DD found the first class to be a bit of a surprise, but she has adjusted. For us, the issue has been time. I block out 2 hours a day for math; she doesn't always need it, but I need to make sure it's available.

Okay so you would recommend going directly with AOPS then? I had no idea about a stretch class - I'll look into it. Two hours a day on math sounds reasonable going forward.

My son did BA thru 5B (the rest weren't out) and covered a couple topics in SM 5, and then started into the PreA book on his own. We have it structured so that he watches the videos and does alcumus too, all really well done material, and it has been sufficient for a "class,". I also let him progress at his pace - he is finishing chapter 4 after 3.5 months of working. The AOPS online classes re fast paced, and often they are taken by kids who are concurrently taking or have already taken preA at public school.

My oldest is in her 3rd AOPS online class. They are fast paced, and cater to especially mathy kids.

Okay so you would recommend going directly with AOPS then? I had no idea about a stretch class - I'll look into it. Two hours a day on math sounds reasonable going forward.

ACK! I'm a stupid-head!  You very clearly wrote "prealgebra," and I very stupidly thought "Intro to Algebra."  Sorry!

It works out well anyway, though, because it appears that the prealgebra book is divided into two classes, Prealgebra 1 and Prealgebra 2.  (We started AoPS with algebra, and I really, really wish we had done the prealgebra; it's great!)  Here's a link to the Prealgebra 1 page.

My son is a little panicky about the AOPS online class. Can anyone explain how it works exactly? Specifically the one through AOPS? It looks like a set time Each week. What if you miss it? What do they do during that time? How does the rest of the week flow - homework from that one weekly lesson? Do you parents do the class too? How do you help them when they need it? Just work through the answers with them?

Would love detailed thoughts on the process!

I typed up my son's response.

During class the teacher posts problems and then you go through it step by step. Even if you don't know how to do it you can see the other kids do it. If you have questions during class you can ask one of the teachers in private. The teacher will respond to just you. If you miss class, you can read over the transcript so you can still learn it.

For the homework there are at least 6 challenge problems. For those problems, you just enter the solution. If you're wrong you can try again as many times as you need. There is also a writing problem where you have to explain your reasoning.

You are assigned Alcumus topics that you need to complete every week.

You are also assigned chapters in the AOPS textbook to read before class. For algebra, it is usually a chapter per week.

You can go into the classroom at any time to ask questions. There is a message board where you can ask for help.

I personally feel like it is better to do math in a social environment because I feel like I have more support. If you have trouble you can ask others for help which I like.It's more work because you have Alcumus and homework in addition to the normal textbook. I really enjoyed it and made lots of new friends.

I should add what I do. Every I assign a section. Most of the time I do it with him. If he does it on his own, he rushes through and doesn't learn it as well.

The online stuff is all him. I don't watch the class or sit with him while he does the Alcumus or challenge problems. I do nag him to do it. The homework problems cover the material learned in class. For instance, if a week's class is on Chapter 10 then the child should have read Chapter 10 before class. How thoroughly he prepares is up to you and him. I make my son do as much of the chapter as he can in that week before class. Normally we don't do challenge problems in the book. Some weeks we don't do the review problems. After class, Alcumus and a online challenge problems will be assigned over Chapter 10. He'll have a week to complete. So he'll have started the next chapter in the book while doing problems from the previous chapter.

I should add what I do. Every I assign a section. Most of the time I do it with him. If he does it on his own, he rushes through and doesn't learn it as well.

The online stuff is all him. I don't watch the class or sit with him while he does the Alcumus or challenge problems. I do nag him to do it. The homework problems cover the material learned in class. For instance, if a week's class is on Chapter 10 then the child should have read Chapter 10 before class. How thoroughly he prepares is up to you and him. I make my son do as much of the chapter as he can in that week before class. Normally we don't do challenge problems in the book. Some weeks we don't do the review problems. After class, Alcumus and a online challenge problems will be assigned over Chapter 10. He'll have a week to complete. So he'll have started the next chapter in the book while doing problems from the previous chapter.

Okay, that is super helpful! So it sounds like the class has a bunch of "extra" stuff that you wouldn't have if you weren't doing the class? And then you go through the text/homework with him the same way you would do say Beast Academy? Did you guys do beast academy? With Beast, I read over the guide book with him, then assign the workbook pages but I sit there with him so that he can get help when he needs it, and make sure he's on the right track, etc. (plus he just likes me sitting there with him, haha, I usually just read my book during most of that!)

We did a little of Beast but it was a long time ago.

The only extra stuff is the challenge problems and written problem. I assigned Alcumus when he did prealgebra at home. I didn't assign it as part of the chapter. He works through the book much slower without the class. I wouldn't assign the work at the pace of the class.