Menu

Self-help books on being gracious?

klmama

My mother and grandmother were totally gracious ladies.  As in, numerous older people who met me for the first time asked if I remembered my grandmother and said what a gracious woman she was, always kind and considerate of others, always knowing the right thing to say and always helping others in need.  My mom came a close second in the number of gracious genes. Me?  *Sigh*  I try, and often I do okay, but much too often I still say the wrong thing, or I completely miss the obviously polite thing I should have done, but didn't see until later. At my age, I feel like I should have this down, but I still mess it up quite frequently.   Are there any self-help books for this?  

• Like 3

It's not a self-help but Miss Manners' Guide to Excrutiatingly Correct Behavior is a fun read -- you don't have to read the whole thing but it does give a lot of ideas and of course you choose how far you want to take things. I like it because she gives you actual words to say and actions to take in tough spots.

And there is always thinking about how to apply the Golden Rule.

it is a skill - and can be learned.

I read much miss manners - pouring over her books.

then, I made an effort to go out of my way to be kind.  even one person a week, then a day.  it allows both practice and experience as you gain the skill.

there is also attitude - of actually seeking to serve others and lift them etc.   asking them questions about themselves, their families, their interests. etc.

• Like 2

It's not a self-help but Miss Manners' Guide to Excrutiatingly Correct Behavior is a fun read -- you don't have to read the whole thing but it does give a lot of ideas and of course you choose how far you want to take things. I like it because she gives you actual words to say and actions to take in tough spots.

And there is always thinking about how to apply the Golden Rule.

well - it introduces you to her cast of characters . . . but then you must move on to miss manners guide to rearing perfect  children . . . there are many books. . . .

though, our family does have a fondness for her chapter on "advanced silverware: or what in the world is this?"

dh is quite partial to directions for a deathbed scene . . . . (you will be assured to know, it is perfectly proper to have a full recovery after staging such an event - and you are even allowed to stage it again - provided  you change up the finer details to keep people guessing.)

I also read Miss Manners in my early 20's when I realized I had huge gaps in my social intelligence. I still make stupid mistakes, but it helped tremendously. 

Joan Didion's A Year of Magical Thinking is a unique book that may also be helpful. She writes about the grief she experiences when her husband and daughter die within a short time span. Reading it showed me how to be a gentler person around those who are suffering, and as a consequence, how to be a gentler person overall. I suppose any book on grief from a first person/personal experience perspective would do the same.