Menu

Scratch

Earthmerlin

My 6yo does Scratch and loves it. We have a book, but since it's all he's ever used I can't say if it's necessary or not. We have Coding Games in Scratch by Jon Woodcock.

Since Scratch is done in a web browser, I would think you can use a Chromebook and get on the Chrome browser. I don't know if you would have a mouse slog with your Chromebook but I recommend a mouse with Scratch. There's lots of left clocking and right clicking that just really needs a mouse IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine just jumped in and used trial and error: (What happens when I do this?). However, we did do hour of code (most of them for that age are called "block" as opposed to Java or other stuff) before hand, and I do recommend that-that gives them the basic idea of how it all works. (I think it's hourofcode.org)

Edited by alibild

My 6yo does Scratch and loves it. We have a book, but since it's all he's ever used I can't say if it's necessary or not. We have Coding Games in Scratch by Jon Woodcock.

Since Scratch is done in a web browser, I would think you can use a Chromebook and get on the Chrome browser. I don't know if you would have a mouse slog with your Chromebook but I recommend a mouse with Scratch. There's lots of left clocking and right clicking that just really needs a mouse IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip about the mouse--good to know!

• Like 1

Mine just jumped in and used trial and error: (What happens when I do this?). However, we did do hour of code (most of them for that age are called "block" as opposed to Java or other stuff) before hand, and I do recommend that-that gives them the basic idea of how it all works. (I think it's hourofcode.org)

Thanks! Yes, she has worked on the hour of code as well.

Yes you can use a chromebook, ds7 does. I second a mouse.

I have a book but have often looked up a youtube tutorial for him when he wants to do something specific. (Just preview of course, i haven't run across any with language or the like, but ....)